Stopping a 6k lb 80 on 38's better than our bone stock LX450 with refreshed brakes. F+R "motorsport grade" brake upgrade. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been some trials and tribulations with the rear kit. I do occasionally post minor updates on IG, and larger updates here on mud. Tried consolidating my "lite" and "full rear" versions into one where I maintained the stock rear rotor, and mated it to the electronic parking brake and a matched Dynapro 4 piston caliper. Unfortunately some interference issues with the Dynapro caliper that required some clearancing along with having to go with getting pads custom made due to the not so common .71" rotor thickness on the 80 rear brakes. Wasn't happy with the solution, and also don't like the bracket adapter and backing plate of the 80 series where improvements could be made if I'm to ditch the rear internal drum parking brake. Rather than having the aftermarket caliper mount to an adapter I make, mounted to the OE bracket adapter then mounted to the flange on the axle, rigidity could be greatly increased by only having a single adapter mated to the axle flange.

All that being said, I did post on IG I'm looking for a rear full float axle housing to better fast track this kit, so if anyone in lower mainland BC, or Washington, has one I could buy or borrow, please do reach out, still have yet to find one.

Been some trials and tribulations with the rear kit. I do occasionally post minor updates on IG, and larger updates here on mud. Tried consolidating my "lite" and "full rear" versions into one where I maintained the stock rear rotor, and mated it to the electronic parking brake and a matched Dynapro 4 piston caliper. Unfortunately some interference issues with the Dynapro caliper that required some clearancing along with having to go with getting pads custom made due to the not so common .71" rotor thickness on the 80 rear brakes. Wasn't happy with the solution, and also don't like the bracket adapter and backing plate of the 80 series where improvements could be made if I'm to ditch the rear internal drum parking brake. Rather than having the aftermarket caliper mount to an adapter I make, mounted to the OE bracket adapter then mounted to the flange on the axle, rigidity could be greatly increased by only having a single adapter mated to the axle flange.

All that being said, I did post on IG I'm looking for a rear full float axle housing to better fast track this kit, so if anyone in lower mainland BC, or Washington, has one I could buy or borrow, please do reach out, still have yet to find one.
there is a pair of axles on the washington state landcruiser FB group located in bellingham wa, i messaged them to make sure they are ff or not.

Edit.. looks like semis out of a 92.

If you've got everything ready I can drive up from Van and we can test fit on my 80. Been meaning to hit Squamish for a bit.

If you've got everything ready I can drive up from Van and we can test fit on my 80. Been meaning to hit Squamish for a bit.
Oh, I've already got two 80's, just been looking for a spare axle housing to work off of so that there's no downtime on them.

feel i going this direction with a f250HD hydraulic brake booster

I have gone with Ceika on front and about to order the rear but without drum brake. Hopping to adapt an electric calliper, or even go with a small driveline disc. If this kit come out I will still buy and sell my Ceika or use on something else.
Hopefully it is soon. Keep working on it. cheers

feel i going this direction with a f250HD hydraulic brake booster
Do you have to upgrade to a Ford booster to use this kit or is that just to maximize the kit?

Any Toyota booster options?

Do you have to upgrade to a Ford booster to use this kit or is that just to maximize the kit?

Any Toyota booster options?
no you can use a stock booster. i just want the extra braking force that a hydraulic gives you.

marks 4wd out of Australia has a hydraulic booster kit for the 80 series if you interested. it's just easier for me to fab my own for 1/4 the price

I keep eyeing those Bosch electronic boosters that they're using on Hondas and Teslas. Seems like just running electrical lines really simplifies the whole thing, though I haven't looked into whether one would want to run it with the Toyota master or the Bosch master. People are adapting them to all kinds of different things.

Kinda bit off more than I can chew with the rear EPB and big brake setup and haven't gotten to doing more this past year. Still looking around for a spare full float axle so I don't put either of the 80's on jack stands for who knows how long it would take at this rate... No excuses, I need to get off my ass and get to work.

As an update though, not a single complaint about the current setup. Having correct brake bias just allows the pig to have pretty minimal dynamic weight shift between front and rear no matter how aggressive of a stop. Still willing to claim this is the shortest stopping 80 out there, especially when you start doing a/b comparisons after 3, 5, even 10+ back to back to back hard stops.

Also not sure I ever posted these, even on SM, but had some custom brake shoes made with meatier pad compound DIMs. Means the outside diameter of the shoes are just a tad larger so they bite into the inside of the drum earlier and more aggressively.

PXL_20240109_233026012.MP.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom