Stolen Land Cruisers -- Common Factors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

10 pages.. any common factors?
nice job bringing it back around to the point!!

common factors:
worn out door locks on 30+ year old trucks makes this ridiculously simple
2021-08-27_19-19-04.jpeg

my last comment on politics:

I dont care what your politics are - if you needed some help i'd help. i'm a "liberal nutcase"... but i like guns. i like steak. i like camping / fishing / dirt / outdoors / i dont hunt for big game but i admire hunters ( its hard EFFING work !!!) only saying this to show that we don't all fit into neatly defined categories.

i don't care what ya'll politics are... I love you guys and I love this forum. If you needed help with a cruiser project - I would help. I'd loan you tools - i'd come to your aid if your rig was stolen (like a couple mud members did for me).

that's it... i'm done with that..lets talk trucks again!

common factors - ease of entry:

1. so the worn door locks: can we rekey the door cylinders and cut new key blanks so that these bump keys dont work (as easily)?
(if someone wanted to rekey their entire rig...is there a list of part numbers that are handy?)

2. the motivated thief can just break glass and then unlock door...so a club seems like good next step.
(it seems like my thieves had a sawzall - cuz they cut off bolts for my roof rack hardware that gave them trouble - so the point there is they can sawzall through a club easily enough)

3. assuming they've made it this far and none of our cameras/alarms have alerted - kill switch is next good step.

What gets your local police force to respond to a stolen vehicle? If your alarm system notifies you that a theft is in progress does a call to 911 get them to come to the scene?

What if your vehicles alarm system doesn't alert the thief that it has been triggered. What if the vehicle is just made to run very poorly when triggered? It starts but stalls when placed in any gear or starts to misfire that it can't get over 5mph? Some of the experiences here have noted that the thief did some investigating into why a vehicle did not start, pulling off the fuse box covers or kick panel. What if the alarm just wastes the thief's time giving the police some time to respond.

The police here respond immediately to a theft in progress. If you discover it's already gone with no suspects, direction of travel, GPS tracker, etc.... you'll go in the report que. I can't speak for any other area, but here victims of stolen vehicles don't have to pay any tow fees on their recovered vehicles.

I have seen recent headlines with police departments saying that they will no longer respond to non-emergency calls. Vehicle that will not start also wastes thief’s time. And one that has a screaming alarm makes him not have time to waste...

That is large metropolitan areas that are dealing with staffing shortages/defunding. It is spreading to smaller departments like Asheville, NC too, but not the norm.

Last edited:
Anyone ever lose/destroy their remote and have to bypass the alarm system? Would it make sense to wire in a well-hidden, single-point bypass to make that less of a PITA?

Parking on the street or in the driveway instead of a closed garage.
Correct. This creature gave up after just trying the handle luckily. 4am last night.

The EFI relay sits on my garage bench thanks to this thread and have our minivan parked behind it almost every night to make the tow harder as well. Thanks all
Screenshot_20211014-071152.png

Some interesting tricks:

Anyone ever lose/destroy their remote and have to bypass the alarm system? Would it make sense to wire in a well-hidden, single-point bypass to make that less of a PITA?
Typically alarms give an option of wiring a alarm defeat switch called a valet switch that does this.

Apparently the scum bags are using tracking devises now....

Been waiting to hear about this...I suppose it was only a matter of time... Guess it's time to step up to faraday-type pouches for all the wireless keys we have, too.

When the authorities do tracking, they have magnetic attach GPS trackers that they tuck up somewhere underneath, but airtag seems cheaper and "easier", assuming you can figure out how to quickly and securely attach it to the vehicle in a hidden spot.

The airtags are good, considering the price. I had one regular and two speaker-delete airtags in use until a few weeks ago. The regular one on the son's backpack is working fine. The speaker deletes were on the dog collar and hidden in the LC. The one in the LC is still running strong, but the dog collar one fell out of its rubberized holder, popped open on the ground, and hasn't worked since. Time to do another speaker delete on the next airtag in the 4-pack, I guess.

Does anyone know if there is a consumer RF scanner / bluetooth scanner / Stingray device that one could purchase to scan for broadcasting devices around a car, or around a hotel room (or even one's own home)?

Does anyone know if there is a consumer RF scanner / bluetooth scanner / Stingray device that one could purchase to scan for broadcasting devices around a car, or around a hotel room (or even one's own home)?
I did a little looking, those units are pricey (400 and up)
I wonder if the local sheriff would have one?

Yeah, I figured as much. If you don't mind me asking @roflbox , where did you do your looking? I assume that I'm being video'd everywhere I go outside of my house, but I'd like to know for sure at hotels, meeting rooms, etc.

The old car theft practice was always to snatch the vehicle and then park it in a public garage at a different location for a few days to let it cool off, in case it had LoJack or some other kind of tracking...then bring it to the chop shop or container loading point for its trip overseas. I wonder what they're doing now, as the high end marques seem to have tracking installed as part of the telematics from the factory.

Maybe if enough people start using speakerless airtags then the higher end crooks will start using scanners for countermeasure purposes?

Also, is there an easy solution to tracking the path that an airtag is taking / has taken at some point in the past? I don't necessarily just need the location now, but where has the dog / LC been?

Yeah, I figured as much. If you don't mind me asking @roflbox , where did you do your looking? I assume that I'm being video'd everywhere I go outside of my house, but I'd like to know for sure at hotels, meeting rooms, etc.

The old car theft practice was always to snatch the vehicle and then park it in a public garage at a different location for a few days to let it cool off, in case it had LoJack or some other kind of tracking...then bring it to the chop shop or container loading point for its trip overseas. I wonder what they're doing now, as the high end marques seem to have tracking installed as part of the telematics from the factory.

Maybe if enough people start using speakerless airtags then the higher end crooks will start using scanners for countermeasure purposes?

Also, is there an easy solution to tracking the path that an airtag is taking / has taken at some point in the past? I don't necessarily just need the location now, but where has the dog / LC been?
I havent checked mine for any tracking, but its up on jackstands right now / with the battery out 🤔 😅

Do any of you know how much of a security liability the original alarm systems are at this point? I still use the key fob on my '97 to lock/unlock the doors but wonder if these old units are really easy/likely to be used by a thief to open the 80? I assume that they are protected to some extent by the fact that there likely aren't many still of these old alarm systems working or in cars that are targeted at least. I could see disabling/replacing it if I became worried about theft in the future. For now my 80 is protected by bad paint :)

I have installed my own alarm system when I first got the 80 around 11 years ago. I used to own a vehicle alarm company so know just a little about this stuff, I did know a lot but recent brain surgery to remove a tumour has left me blank areas in my memory. It seems the favourite trick in the UK (apart from breaking into your house and stealing the keys, or pushing a pole with a hook fixed to it and lifting them out of the bowl in the hallway, or off the key rack on the wall) is the towing method. Wherever possible a good way to delay the tow thieves is park with the front of the car against a wall but leave the steering on full lock i.e. steering locked in the hard right or left position. Now the thieves cannot just slip up and drag you car away, they need something called skates. These slip under the wheels and lift the front wheels however, most sets of skates don't have the ability to unlock the skate wheels, so they do nothing to straighten the car when it is towed away, so most thieves will walk away. Having said that it is probably old advice as the better more expensive sets do have the unlock facility.

I also use a vehicle tracker that uses a phone SIM, it costs 5 euros a month to keep the chip active, I can literally phone my car up and the chip responds with the lat/long of it's location, works within around 10 metres. So my alarm system/my own custom immobiliser/my tracker/sensible parking, and of course my garage, then there is me, god will not save you if I catch you trying to steal my car......and if I do catch you I will NOT call the police.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom