STOLEN Stolen 1974 fj40, sbc v8, tailgate, gear splitter, full floating rear end (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About 2+ years ago my brothers 1974 fj40 was stolen in Greer South Carolina. It was heavily customized and here are some of the characteristics.

It had a small block CHEVY V8 with the original 4-speed transmission and an ADVANCED ADAPTERS OVERDRIVE GEAR SPLITTER. That means that it has 3 shifters.

The lower rear doors were replaced with a handmadeTAILGATE made out of 1/8 in flat plate for the inner and outer skin with square tubing as the frame. There is an access panel on the inside of the tailgate to get the latch mechanism. We used a fj40 hatch handle as the handle for the tailgate.

We changed the gear ratios in the front and rear to 370 and put a DETROIT LOCKER in the rear axle which was swapped out for a New Zealand FULL FLOATING REAR AXLE. The bottom of the shock is custom mounted to the leaf spring bracket instead of the rear axle body.

The whole bottom floor of the back of the truck was replaced with flat sheet metal that I believe is 1/8 in.

If you see this truck please call the police and contact me at gamble1776@gmail.com. my brother did not have theft Insurance on it so it was a complete loss of about $25,000 for the truck that we built together. I will edit this post soon and add the VIN number and exact dates. The person you stole it was caught but the truck was never found

IMG_1922.JPG

IMG_1921.JPG

The tow hitch is not shown in this picture but it was made from a long piece of thick angle iron mounted behind the rear bumper pads. All the rivets on the back were drilled out and replaced with bolts so the tow hitch is not obviously angle iron unless you look. The hitch receiver is welded to the bottom of the angle iron. This picture shows the tailgate a little better behind a kiosk that we made.

FB_IMG_1565373446940.jpg

Hate to say it, but after 2 years, it is probably long gone, parted out most likely. When a rig is stolen, you only have about 48hrs to find it. After that time period it is most likely gone forever. My buddy got his 65 Chevelle back after 6 months, but it was a shell. They even took the front suspension, it was on a caster!!

Sorry it was never retrieved. V8 cruisers like that are not as valuable as ones with the toyota 6 cylinder. Should be able to find a v8 cruiser similar to yours for 6 or 7k.

Show me where

I would plaster pictures everywhere and a reward offer. Contingent on viable information. You may be surprised. Look up the thief on facebook and talk to his friends. Look around the places he hangs out. Auto theft is a low priority for most police departments. They take a report and unless they stumble on it nothing happens. Post up the Vin and start searching the vin and for the parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom