Stiff steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To update here: I had the rack bushings and outer TREs replaced in December. Made a huge difference in the steering feel and accuracy.

However now after a wheeling trip, I'm getting some slight binding in the steering. I worry this means my rack is finally biting the dust...

So, I happened to be reading a Tundra forum over the weekend. There was a mechanic who says he sees this issue on tundras that have some rust on it. The U-joint knuckle that attaches to the steering rack will start to bind if there's any rust in it. I hit mine with some penetrating oil (it did look a little crusty), and the problem instantly went away! I may still look at replacing that lower shaft with a new knuckle, but for now the steering is silky smooth again.
What oil did you use and how long did it last? I was even contemplating putting a needle on the grease gun and trying to lube mine that way.

What oil did you use and how long did it last? I was even contemplating putting a needle on the grease gun and trying to lube mine that way.

I used some knocker loose, but any penetrating oil would likely work. It's still running smooth. I have a can of CRC aerosol grease that I want to try on it for a longer term coating, but I'll want to get right up next to it (pull the skid plate off or tire/skirt). With the penetrating oil I just squirted it on there from up by the battery twice a day for a few days and it's been good ever since.

I used some knocker loose, but any penetrating oil would likely work. It's still running smooth. I have a can of CRC aerosol grease that I want to try on it for a longer term coating, but I'll want to get right up next to it (pull the skid plate off or tire/skirt). With the penetrating oil I just squirted it on there from up by the battery twice a day for a few days and it's been good ever since.
I just hit mine with some PB Blaster.

To update here: I had the rack bushings and outer TREs replaced in December. Made a huge difference in the steering feel and accuracy.

However now after a wheeling trip, I'm getting some slight binding in the steering. I worry this means my rack is finally biting the dust...

How did you go with the binding?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom