Steering ( Wheel ) What size to upgrade to (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1975 fj40
Saginaw PS Conversion.
Ididit Steering Column

What size steering wheel? 13 3/4 inches or 15" ? Anyone have experience/opinion?

just go back to the ol' bus steering wheel! :D

i love the stock one. it's awesome, steering shouldn't be so easy!

jonathan

If you've ever bashed your elbow into the door while in a tight manuever you already know why I'd go with a smaller wheel. Besides, that "bus" wheel was only put in there to overcome the lame stock steering. Would you use an eight pound sledge to drive a finish nail?

You be thankful for the "bus" wheel if you ever loose power on a down hill. :eek:

[quote author=73lndcrsr link=board=1;threadid=4645;start=msg35116#msg35116 date=1061904760]
You be thankful for the "bus" wheel if you ever loose power on a down hill. :eek:
[/quote] :eek:shyaaah...there aint no hills in Georgia...who you trying to kid? :D

[quote author=73lndcrsr link=board=1;threadid=4645;start=msg35116#msg35116 date=1061904760]
[/quote]I, personally, don't see how you could loose power on a downhill unless you panic and push the wrong pedal. Don't push the clutch. Even if you turned off your ignition, if you are still moving, you have power steering until you stop moving. If you aren't moving your steering isnt much of a concern.

[quote author=hammerhead link=board=1;threadid=4645;start=msg35366#msg35366 date=1061944923]
I, personally, don't see how you could loose power on a downhill unless you panic and push the wrong pedal. Don't push the clutch. Even if you turned off your ignition, if you are still moving, you have power steering until you stop moving. If you aren't moving your steering isnt much of a concern.
[/quote]

how about a broken PS pump belt?

[quote author=78 One owner link=board=1;threadid=4645;start=msg35358#msg35358 date=1061944185]
:eek:shyaaah...there aint no hills in Georgia...who you trying to kid? :D
[/quote]
Only the Blue Ridge mountains :flipoff2: ::)

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=4645;start=msg35404#msg35404 date=1061949239]
Only the Blue Ridge mountains :flipoff2: ::)
[/quote]They named those before white men made it to the Rockies. ;) :D

citabria,

I see you put in a ididit steering column. How do you like it? What length did you get? Which one did you get, aluminum or steel? Did you get one with the keyed ignition in the column (which I know they were working on, but wasn't available yet when I talked to them a few months ago).

I am pretty sure I'm going to use one of there columns, curious as to what you thought and how the install went? If you have any pics I would love to see them.

Thanks, Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom