Steering Wheel Rewrap - To perforate or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Red Beard

Cruisin'
Threads
Website
cruisin4parts.com
For those of you who have rewrapped their steering wheels - did you do the perforated leather? Do you like it? From what I've gathered, it looks awesome and could add a little bit more grip. But I wanted to see what everyone thought after having it installed for a while. I'm looking into Craft Customs to rewrap mine here in a few weeks.

Are you leaving the old leather underneath and having them wrap on top or stripping the old leather?

I personally prefer perforated. Feels better during long drives. It's a little grippier so you can relax your hands and still have control. It also keeps my hands drier over several hours of driving.

If you're leaving the old leather underneath, I would also go perforated so no moisture gets trapped in the layer of old leather. If you're stripping the old leather, just get whatever feels nicest to you.

I have had Dallas Custom Steering Wheel do two. I keep the solid leather. They come back factory new. Highly recommended.

There used to be a few 100 series steering wheels floating around Mud to borrow while you get your wheel professionally covered. Not sure what ever happened to them.

How much do these usually cost? What's their turnaround time?
Email him for pricing and timing. Not sure. I did mine a few years back.

I had mine done here in Australia recently it took the guy a month to complete it and return to me but was well worth the wait. My wheel looks like new from the factory. It cost me $250 aussie

I went with perforated on mine and love it. Went over the old cover just to add thickness. The only problem is at the top of the wheel there wasn't quite enough room to sew it 100% closed so you can feel the stitching a little more. But the bottom and middle sections feel amazing and is "grippier" too. I thankfully work at a shop with a tech who used to help his mom hand sew drapery and is good at it so I had him do my 4runner, bronco and land cruiser!

I'd be interested in finding one of these loaner wheels.
It has been over 5 years or so probably since I recall seeing one. It was a great service. In the 40 section we used to be able to borrow a knuckle centering tool as well as a soft top punch but as the board has grown we have encountered individuals who failed to "pay forward" or even return favors.

It has been over 5 years or so probably since I recall seeing one. It was a great service. In the 40 section we used to be able to borrow a knuckle centering tool as well as a soft top punch but as the board has grown we have encountered individuals who failed to "pay forward" or even return favors.
How it goes, I guess. What's a second hand wheel worth? Does the chain breaker want to sell me their ill-gotten wheel?

How it goes, I guess. What's a second hand wheel worth? Does the chain breaker want to sell me their ill-gotten wheel?

@clayinho might have an extra wheel. At least over a year ago they did. Not sure if there are differences between pre/post 03 wheel fitment though.

Also, in terms of perforation, I noticed my interior already has perforated accent pieces. So in addition to the great reviews the perforation has in terms of feel, I think it does well with our interiors.

IMG_1452.jpg

IMG_1453.jpg

Perforations will collect dirt/grime-

Perforated and thicker from Dallas Custom. Shipped there and back was about 10 days.
Perforations and thicker wrap was extra.
Highly recommend.

F0B2FB37-E2F1-4F5D-AA38-A5A54417B6A1_1_201_a.jpeg

Why did you choose the thicker wrap?
I've always felt it was too thin for a Land Cruiser plus big hands. :)
Same reasons I find the largest size grips for my mountain bikes.
It now has a 4.25" circumference.

sw10.jpeg

How much was it?
Here's what he quoted for the options:
- Wheel $349 (solid dark taupe leather) or $399 (two-tone, including combine perforated and solid leathers).
- Adding thumb rest pads $100 (bumps at 10 and 2 o'clock for sporty look).
- Extra padding $75 (if prefer thicker than stock for a comfort feel).
- Adding a stripe $30 (any colored band at 12 o'clock).
- Colored/Style stitching (no extra charge).
- Shipping $30 (ConUS) or $80 (International).
- Turn around time about 4-5 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom