Steering wheel removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m getting ready to remove the steering wheel from my ‘71,
is there anything I need to know? Do I need any special tool to remove or put it back on?

This puller worked well for me. Amazon product ASIN B08FCZKGNMThe steering wheel accepts 2 M8 x 1.25 bolts. Going from memory, I believe the nut holding the wheel is 17mm. Once you pull the wheel you will want to be careful not to lose the little brush spring for the horn. It has a tendency to fall out. No special tool is necessary to put the horn back on.

Screen Shot of Horn Assembly.PNG

Harbor Freight has a basic kit for $15.99. I used without any problem. Am also not hard ony tools.

After removing all the parts under the nut at the end of the shaft put the bolt back on. Just flush with the end of the shaft. When the wheel comes loose it pop all at once. Years ago before I had a puller the it prevented the wheel from flying and hitting me in the face. Is also prevents the threads on the end of the shaft being being damaged. If for some reason they do having a nut past the damage makes it much easier cleaning up the threads. That and always having a brass punch handy.

And clean up the horn contact bits well before you reassemble! Nice and shiny metal contacts.
I’ve found that once the wheel comes off with the puller for the first time in ages, a pop with the palm of my hand on the back is all that’s needed for future removals.
Why are you removing it? IDK where in the PNW you are, but I have a puller you could use if you didn’t want to buy one. I think auto stores rent them free too. But the $15 HF should work just fine and also works on the harmonic balancer, etc for when you really start down the rabbit hole.

And clean up the horn contact bits well before you reassemble! Nice and shiny metal contacts.
I’ve found that once the wheel comes off with the puller for the first time in ages, a pop with the palm of my hand on the back is all that’s needed for future removals.
Why are you removing it? IDK where in the PNW you are, but I have a puller you could use if you didn’t want to buy one. I think auto stores rent them free too. But the $15 HF should work just fine and also works on the harmonic balancer, etc for when you really start down the rabbit hole.
I’m taking it off to put a rubber shield in the giant steering column hole in the firewall (homemade)
horn doesn’t work as I don’t think it’s a ‘71 steering wheel but a bit later model.
just trying to deal with a whole lot of PO nonsense one thing at a time,
so the Mrs. doesn’t give me the stink eye for throwing a bunch of cheese at it all at once!
ps,
love the color of yours in the avatar!
looks like my original color I’ve found underneath mine as I’m replacing wing window seals.

This puller worked well for me. Amazon product ASIN B08FCZKGNMThe steering wheel accepts 2 M8 x 1.25 bolts. Going from memory, I believe the nut holding the wheel is 17mm. Once you pull the wheel you will want to be careful not to lose the little brush spring for the horn. It has a tendency to fall out. No special tool is necessary to put the horn back on.

View attachment 2924405
I had suspected that my wheel is NOT from a ‘71. Mine looks like this one, which explains why the horn doesn’t work.
oh well, guess the steering wheel is gonna be another thing I will eventually have to track down.
if y’all hear of anyone wants to trade, mines in excellent shape.

D1ADA453-A9F1-46C1-AAB7-5E567CE050D4.png

I`m replacing my turn indicator assembly on my '69, so I'm going through the same motions. I got that rubber dust boot for the steering column from cruiser outfitters if you wanted oem instead of home-made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom