Steering Wheel : New leather vendor or a GOOD Amazon kit? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LINUS

Waiting for the Great Pumpkin
Threads
Who all has been down this road already?

I'm either game for a SOLID kit of a leather hoop I stitch down on my wheel (I'm bad at Amazon, all I find are ~$30 kits that details let you know it's like vinyl or the like).

Preferrably a kit off Amazon (or similar) just from the economics of it - maybe black to make all of us semi-happy.

It's that or research what vendor does a solid re-wrap (for quite a bit more $$).

Has anyone got a great kit??? - (or know a vendor we KNOW will send a wheel when we pay them)

Have you searched "Steering Wheel Cover"?
Ebay or Amazon called Wheelskinz for about $50. Color is close.
I love mine, plan on at least 1 hr to stitch it on and it's best to wear gloves.
To have professionally reupholstered it's ~$400.

Yep, searched Amazon.

I waded through a good 50-60 ads of BS covers.

I even changed the price parameter, all I got was more expensive crappo ones.

I don't mind $50-75 for a good leather hoop, it just never landed on my screen from Amazon.

I asked my local upholstry guy first, he laughed and said he does backs & butts, not hands/wheels.

I've no problem admitting I'm a blind squirrel on Amazon, my seach returned like 4000 results, just none that looked worth buying.

I had my steering wheel repaired and recovered by Dallas Custom Steering wheel. Final cost with repair of the rubber (usually required apparently) and with the addition of a thin layer of padding under the leather (which increases the diameter slightly) cost around $400. Where the original leather had no grain or texture to it the replacement has a touch of grain, looks very good and matches the center (horn/bag) section well. Only downside is the cost.

Dallas Custom Steering Wheel

Have you searched "Steering Wheel Cover"?
Ebay or Amazon called Wheelskinz for about $50. Color is close.
I love mine, plan on at least 1 hr to stitch it on and it's best to wear gloves.
To have professionally reupholstered it's ~$400.

I also have a wheelskins and I can say it is a good deal. Seems to be good leather, and pretty tight for a wrap that goes over the existing wheel. Yes, wear the gloves though. I think it was $55-$60. Leather Steering Wheel Covers Manufacturer and Distributor

Land Cruiser Heaven seems to have nice leather wraps for the steering wheels.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but what about the shifter? It sure seems like an easy pattern to reproduce. I've searched all over and cannot find a vendor.

AMX390: I had my shifter knob recovered by the same company linked above, something like $100, I forget. They cut a piece of leather freehand using the original as a template then sewed the new leather on the shifter knob; not something I would attempt. Looks better than original.

I had my steering wheel repaired and recovered by Dallas Custom Steering wheel. Final cost with repair of the rubber (usually required apparently) and with the addition of a thin layer of padding under the leather (which increases the diameter slightly) cost around $400. Where the original leather had no grain or texture to it the replacement has a touch of grain, looks very good and matches the center (horn/bag) section well. Only downside is the cost.

Did you have to send them your wheel or do they have an exchange program?

Please explain the gloves, I plan to order.
To protect you hands from blistering. The string hurts after a while of pulling it really tight.

Helpful hint- use a small pick set to really cinch the string down after pulling it tight.

I have always been a fan of wheelskins, I order direct from the company

Wheelskins is in my future - I found a black LS400 wheel so adding a black Wheelskin to it will make is all sorts of fancy & mainly matching.

Dallas leather looks like a good place to send a wheel for that kind of money - but for me finding a good LS wheel as a base will make this good enough for me.

Thanks all!

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1449583021.971978.jpg
I just thought I'd throw this option out there since I haven't seen it discussed, and it can be done for <$2 with little skill. 550 cord has been on my steering wheel for about 3 years with no slippage, great grip and covers the ugly wear.

Purchased mine from the same guy/gal. It's been a couple years now and still very happy. Worth the extra $.

View attachment 1172970 I just thought I'd throw this option out there since I haven't seen it discussed, and it can be done for <$2 with little skill. 550 cord has been on my steering wheel for about 3 years with no slippage, great grip and covers the ugly wear.

I like. Any suggestion on the color of Paracord to match the Oak interior?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom