Steering Wheel Fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Add bookmark
I've owned 4 Land Cruisers and this has happened to them all. I think it's caused by sun exposure. On the top half of the steering wheel the plastic/rubber covering separates from the steel core and feels loose and spongy. I used to replace the steering wheel but now they're getting expensive and hard-to-find.
I tried a repair method that seems to have worked for over a year now and I wanted to share it.
I used the product called Git Rot and a large hypodermic needle. I mixed and then injected the material into the steering wheel where it was loose. (Cover the seat because it does drip). Let it cure for 24 hours IMG_20200425_002549.jpgand the wheel is hard as a

get rot1.jpg

Nice fix. Any particular reason for choosing that epoxy over another?

Interesting stuff.
My steering wheel did the same and started cracking apart, very ugly. I covered it (tightly) with a wheelskins cover, made it super solid again. Adding some some type of adhesive inside would’ve made it even better.

I’ll be attempting this fix. Did you just stick the needle through the rubber? Mine is doing it all over - I’m wondering how many spots I should inject.

I also noticed a few holes that look factory on the back of the rubber - any ideas what those are for?

I’ll be attempting this fix. Did you just stick the needle through the rubber? Mine is doing it all over - I’m wondering how many spots I should inject.

I also noticed a few holes that look factory on the back of the rubber - any ideas what those are for?
Just stick the needle thru the rubber. I think the other holes are the factory moulding holes. It does seep thru cracked rubber so cover the seats. The Get Rot I used is just a very slow setting epoxy. It's still holding up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom