Steering wheel crooked after lift install ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just installed a Dobinson's 2" lift on my 82 FJ60. Now my steering wheel is crooked. It does not pull to either side when going down the road . How can I correct this ?

I just installed a Dobinson's 2" lift on my 82 FJ60. Now my steering wheel is crooked. It does not pull to either side when going down the road . How can I correct this ?
Make sure that your tires/wheels are straight (even though your steering wheel will be out of alignment). Remove your steering wheel. Re-align and re-install it (the steering wheel). That should sort you out.

Others will likely chime in too... and probably with different and far more technical advice... lol.

:flipoff2:

That is normal. You need to adjust the rod that goes from your steering box to the passenger wheel. It should have the steering stabilizer shock mount on it. HTH

That is normal. You need to adjust the rod that goes from your steering box to the passenger wheel. It should have the steering stabilizer shock mount on it. HTH
Thank you for giving the op proper advice.

:beer:

Here’s a pic for good measure, loosen the clamps and rotate the rod with tires straight - just did this a few weeks ago after installing my Dobinsons kit. My steering wheel was crooked to the right, it was trial and error figuring out which way to rotate the rod but overall was very easy.

IMG_4915.jpeg

Thanks guys . I will try this tomorrow.
Here’s a pic for good measure, loosen the clamps and rotate the rod with tires straight - just did this a few weeks ago after installing my Dobinsons kit. My steering wheel was crooked to the right, it was trial and error figuring out which way to rotate the rod but overall was very easy.

View attachment 3325429

View attachment 3325429
Mine is also cocked to the right . Which way did you have to adjust the rod ?

Thanks guys . I will try this tomorrow. Mine is also cocked to the right . Which way did you have to adjust the rod ?
Thanks guys . I will try this tomorrow.

Mine is also cocked to the right . Which way did you have to adjust the rod ?
I honestly can’t remember, I had to turn both ways to fine tune - I think rotating the rod toward the front of the vehicle makes the wheel turn clockwise so you would want to rotate toward the rear of the vehicle. Sorry if that is backwards!

Sometimes it's easy. Sometimes it will refuse to budge.

I have found it helpful to have a large pipe wrench, penetrating oil, and a propane torch on hand in case it puts up a fight.
This is why I anti seize the bajeezus out of the threads whenever I have the linkage apart. Alignment techs (and future you) will thank you for it.

Speaking of which, I'm due for an alignment check....

I broke my ball joint trying to adjust the drag link on mine after installing the 80 series steering box. I don't understand mechanically why/how the 60 series box can be back-driven, i.e. if you rotate the pitman arm/sector shaft, the steering input shaft will correspondingly move (how can a worm gear possibly be back driven anyway?). That is definitely not possible on the 80 series box I have -- if you try to rotate the sector shaft, stuff is going to break before the steering shaft moves. The solution is to simply jack up the front to get the wheels off the ground -- instead of the steering wheel moving (via the steering box), the wheels will move, achieving the same result. I suspect this will also make it easier if your relay rod is seized.

Sometimes it's easy. Sometimes it will refuse to budge.

I have found it helpful to have a large pipe wrench, penetrating oil, and a propane torch on hand in case it puts up a fight.
After I sprayed it with Kroil and worked it back and forth with channel locks , I was able to move it by hand. So far this is the easiest thing I have done to my 60. Everything else has been a fight.

I broke my ball joint trying to adjust the drag link on mine after installing the 80 series steering box. I don't understand mechanically why/how the 60 series box can be back-driven, i.e. if you rotate the pitman arm/sector shaft, the steering input shaft will correspondingly move (how can a worm gear possibly be back driven anyway?). That is definitely not possible on the 80 series box I have -- if you try to rotate the sector shaft, stuff is going to break before the steering shaft moves. The solution is to simply jack up the front to get the wheels off the ground -- instead of the steering wheel moving (via the steering box), the wheels will move, achieving the same result. I suspect this will also make it easier if your relay rod is seized.
Was your steering wheel locked? Can an 80 not be flat towed because the steering box will not turn without driver input?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom