Steering Sensor Not Reading 0 / AHC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently acquired a 2007 Land Cruiser. 50k miles. Excellent condition overall. I was following the handy AHC guide here and doing some poking around with Techstream and everything looks pretty good there however... the steering angle sensor reading is wrong. When the wheel is pointed straight ahead it reads around -50. This is problematic because as I understand it the Left/Right Block Valve is activated around this angle. I performed an erase memory and then a test mode on VSC and everything goes smoothly but the steering calibration is still off. I did notice that it seems like 0 is automatically figured out based on the middle of the max - and max + rotation. I should also note that steering rack was replaced at some point at the dealer many years ago. Any ideas? I am thinking maybe when wheels are straight the rack isn't at the center and that because of this the algorithm used by the VSC to determine 0 degrees is confused. Or am I overcomplicating this?

Techstream Screenshot with Steering Wheel Dead Center

Screenshot 2024-01-02 171642.png

1. Drop your steering column cover down
  2. Turn ignition off and disconnect the rectangle white connector on the bottom of your steering angle sensor. I don't recall any other specifics on the connector at the moment (I disconnected a few of them on mine just to be sure)
  3. With the steering wheel pointed straight ahead (wheels also straight) and the sensor disconnected, turn the ignition on for about 15 seconds.
  4. Turn ignition off
  5. Reconnect the sensor connector
  6. Clear the DTC that was set for your steering angle sensor
  7. Verify the angle reads correctly now
Repeat the process if the steering angle sensor did not zero itself

I just performed this last week on my 06 and it worked perfectly.

2. Turn ignition off and disconnect the rectangle white connector on the bottom of your steering angle sensor. I don't recall any other specifics on the connector at the moment (I disconnected a few of them on mine just to be sure)
  3. With the steering wheel pointed straight ahead (wheels also straight) and the sensor disconnected, turn the ignition on for about 15 seconds.
  4. Turn ignition off

Mud comes through again!

This fixed it. Although I'm not sure how you figured this out. I scoured the FSM and countless posts here and got nothing although it was clear that my steering wheel sensor was working and that it was a calibration issue I could not find any reference on how to calibrate it.

Thanks

4. Turn ignition off

I just cycled through this 3 times with no luck. Still showing 1150 degrees in Techstream. Anyone have similar issues getting the steering angle back to 0?
IMG_3900.jpeg

I just cycled through this 3 times with no luck. Still showing 1150 degrees in Techstream. Anyone have similar issues getting the steering angle back to 0?
View attachment 3550416

Looks like you're in VSC/ABS ECU not AHC. The discussion above is about AHC.

When you turn the wheel does the steering angle change? If not, you probably have a bad sensor or wiring issue.

If it does change, have you tried doing a zero point calibration?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom