steering rag joint. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1993 land cruiser in rapid city South Dakota
out snow wheeling I noticed that my rag joint got really hot from the slow speeds, high rpm's and the header.
I removed it.
I un bolted everything, beat the studs out, and turned it 90 degrees and it bolted right back up.. course the steering wheel needed adjusted.
but no more rag joint to break.

when snow wheeling I had a problem with my alternator.
while trying to fix it I was shocked at how hot the rag joint had gotten.
I have a header and had been running 4000 to 5000 rpm now and then.
it was WAY flexible and the steering felt a bit loose.
I have been told before to remove it for rock crawling.
when I took these pictures I notice the burned wire on my wifes truck. it crosses the rag joint. I am now wondering if that is the problem that Toyota's have with the starter not always working. the famous click click.. but nothing from the starter??
anyways.
stock rag joint set up.
HPIM2532.jpg

there are two bolts and two studs.
I removed the bolts and beat the studs out. turned the wheel 90 degrees and bolted it back up.
the hole line right up.
I would have left the studs, but they did not bolt down tight.
so I just used the bolts.
a little bit more vibration feed back though the wheel, but not bad. Now I don't notice it at all.
HPIM2534.jpg

HPIM2535.jpg

the left over parts.
HPIM2536.jpg

If you were to put nylon bushings in between the flangs would they hold up? Thinkin about doing this to my dd, bad idea?

The wire is just to make sure the rest of the steering wheel is grounded, and I believe affects the horn. Did your horn still work before you did this mod?

i had a rag joint break on a cruiser a few years ago on a hill, and now remove them. i did the same thing you did, works well..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom