Steering play part check (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello fellas,

I’m working on a 97 LC and noticed a big play on the steering wheel. I believe that replacing the steering gear box will fix the problem, no time to take it apart and re-service it.

That said, can someone confirm that the part n.44110-60212 will fit the 97 LC / LX450?

Mr. Toyoda’s websites are unable to confirm the fit.

Last edited:
Like a lot of play. Constant correction makes it a pain to drive.

Last edited:
Before you go throwing parts at it:

1) Suspension specs/Lift
2) What size tyres
3) Any play in front wheel bearings?
3) Torque the nuts on the bottom of the knuckle housings, from memory it's something like 70 ft lbs.

Depending on the suspension setup, it might need more caster, and more likely than not, tie rod and drag link ends.

Once we know the steering linkage and wheel alignment is good, it's time to start looking at steering boxes etc.

4411060212 is what I show for the gear box

4541160360 is the pitman arm your going to need

Gearbox from partsouq

Done all of that already. Suspension geometry is correct. Just want to confirm the part n.
Setting your toe in a bit will correct the wandering most likely. I get steering box play but that shouldn’t allow the truck to wonder all over the road. Red head rebuilds gear boxes and sells them also easy way to recover some money rebuild the old one and sell it.

Sounds like you are pretty up to speed on 80 steering but it's worth sharing that with reasonable caster, properly inflated tires, no play in wheel bearings (front or rear), trunion/kingpin bearings, tie/relay rod ends or suspension/swaybar bushings (front or rear) the 80 should track well even when the steering box is loose. Excess steering box play can still be annoying though and make driving harder but only sizeable road irregularities make a dialed in 80 wander.

There are different possible sources for play in the steering box, some of which can be taken out by tightening the adjustment screw on the top of the box. This adjustment is easily done with a wrench going in from the wheel well to turn the lock nut and a long screw driver from above to turn the screw. If you turn the screw in too far the steering will start to bind and the wheels not return to center from a full turn as it should. I'd keep the necessary tools in the 80 and add 1/4 turn or so at a time, then drive to test, until you go too far then back the adjustment out a quarter turn to end up with the screw in as far as you can get away with. This adjustment took all noticeable slack out of the steering box on my '97 but it's effectiveness depends on where the slack is in the box.

I get wanting to just change the box, and that may be your best bet, but even a tight steering box won't fix wandering issues if they are present.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are pretty up to speed on 80 steering but it's worth sharing that with reasonable caster, properly inflated tires, no play in wheel bearings (front or rear), trunion/kingpin bearings, tie/relay rod ends or suspension/swaybar bushings (front or rear) the 80 should track well even when the steering box is loose. Excess steering box play can still be annoying though and make driving harder but only sizeable road irregularities make a dialed in 80 wander.

There are different possible sources for play in the steering box, some of which can be taken out by tightening the adjustment screw on the top of the box. This adjustment is easily done with a wrench going in from the wheel well to turn the lock nut and a long screw driver from above to turn the screw. If you turn the screw in too far the steering will start to bind and the wheels not return to center from a full turn as it should. I'd keep the necessary tools in the 80 and add 1/4 turn or so at a time, then drive to test, until you go too far then back the adjustment out a quarter turn to end up with the screw in as far as you can get away with. This adjustment took all noticeable slack out of the steering box on my '97 but it's effectiveness depends on where the slack is in the box.

I get wanting to just change the box, and that may be your best bet, but even a tight steering box won't fix wandering issues if they are present.

So, front axle was recently done, all bearings are new and no play, retorque done to retighten the bearings and eliminate play on both wheels, new steering links + tie rod ends, new springs + shocks, sway bar extensions installed, caster correction done and rig running on 35’s. Alignment was recently done and the play is definitely there. It is not an insane amount but demands constant correction on highway.

Steering gear box is the next on the list now since I’m working on the baseline. Thanks for the info

...no time to take it apart and re-service it.
Just FYI, Redhead rebuilt my steering gear the same day they received it. Total down time for me was only one week.

Just FYI, Redhead rebuilt my steering gear the same day they received it. Total down time for me was only one week.
Would you mind sharing the approximate cost for it to be rebuilt?

Last edited:
Do you have a print out of the alignment numbers?

What state are suspension bushings in? Radius arm bushes?
rear control arm bushes?
Panhard rod bushes? FR & RR?

What condition are tires in? What air pressure do you run?
Unfortunately, I don’t have the alignment numbers with me right now. Have to see where the paper from the shop is. The alignment was done a few months ago.

Other than that, all bushes you mentioned are new.

Tires have ~ 5k miles of use. Last time I filled them I chose 34psi.

Last edited:
Would mind sharing the approximate cost for it to be rebuilt?
IIRC, somewhere around $275.
You can get an actual quote by filling out a form on their website.

I have a 300,000mile old PS box and she still doesn't wander nor have a huge amount of play in the steering wheel. Tightening up the pre-load screw on the gearbox takes about ten min and does a great job at reducing the play.

Setting the toe to nearly zero degrees or slightly pointing inward also does wonders for the "wandering".

Good luck.

@alia176 same here with over 300k on what is likely the og box. I tightened the screw at 230k, roughly, and it's felt great ever since. Took a lot of work to get the handling back to spec in other areas but the 80 drives great now in spite of the miles.

I did have wandering and poor handling from a variety of sources and over the course of months (maybe > 1 year) I fixed the issues one by one. Fixing some of the items slowly like bushings, frame cracks, loose linkages, worn trunions, blown/weak shocks, loose wheel bearings, caster adjustment, etc. helped me get a feel for how much each one contributed to wandering. My 80 went from requiring constant vigilance and seeming unsafe for me to let anyone else drive it to being very comfortable by the end of these repairs.

In my experience a little extra toe will help more with some types of looseness than others. Steering linkage slop can be kept out of the slack zone with toe but but bump induced axle migration due to excessively worn bushings or accel/decel changes etc. may not benefit as much from toe, etc.

I have a 300,000mile old PS box and she still doesn't wander nor have a huge amount of play in the steering wheel. Tightening up the pre-load screw on the gearbox takes about ten min and does a great job at reducing the play.

Setting the toe to nearly zero degrees or slightly pointing inward also does wonders for the "wandering".

Good luck.
Thanks for letting me know about your solution.

Still, having the part n. is helpful to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom