Halogen to LED plug n play (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Do I HAVE to have a relay/harness in order to use LEDS in the OEM housings? (97LX450) I bought what I though was plug n play LED bulbs, but seems like they may still require a harness. Are there any LED bulbs that have built in conversion functionality?

Last edited:
Do I HAVE to have a relay/harness in order to use LEDS in the OEM housings? (97LX450) I bought what I though was plug n play LED bulbs, but seems like they may still require a harness. Are there any LED bulbs that have built in conversion functionality?
Please don't. Just buy good HIR bulbs from Philips that are meant for halogen housings.

Please don't. Just buy good HIR bulbs from Philips that are meant for halogen housings.
9006 or 9011 bulbs? I see Philips has four different 9006 bulbs will I notice a difference between them?

Throw 9011's in there. You have to trim the tab, but they work fine and are slightly brighter.

Last edited:
Throw 9005's in there. You have to trim the tab, but they work fine and are slightly brighter.
I think you meant 9011s. Stock lamps are 9006 lows and 9005 highs. The Phillips HIR are 9012 lows and 9011 highs. I've been running 9011s in all 4 positions for years now and they are way better than stock.
LEDs in my experience produce a very scattered pattern in halogen housings. Some folks run some modern ones with better results, but I can't justify the cost.

^^^ Agreed, Wagner 9011's from Rockauto are less than $10/each and are simply repackaged Philips bulbs. 3 minutes with some snippers and a Dremel and they are ready to go. I keep the old o-ring and double it up on the 9011 for a snugger fit into the housing, Light output is about 50% better than the stock 9006 and I never get flashed. I run these in all 4 positions and have been pleased with this simple mod.

If you want to go big, best to consider a DEPO housing modified for the beam of your choice.

9011 bulbs, trim the plastic to fit (easy), best light output for least effort and cost. Buy a few spares and you'll be set for a long time. My headlights are on day and night and the 9011 bulbs last years.

If you are looking for additional light for fog, offroad, etc.... then go with an aftermarket LED light that is designed to be an LED. Rigid makes a nice SAE (street legal) fog light that works great, I have them on my truck.

If you are looking for additional light for fog, offroad, etc.... then go with an aftermarket LED light that is designed to be an LED. Rigid makes a nice SAE (street legal) fog light that works great, I have them on my truck.
Agreed. I picked up a set of used Baja Designs XL Pros for a good price. I can't imagine needing more light. On a 2 lane mountain road, it's like driving in daylight.
Another issue with LED headlights, they don't melt the snow/ice as you're driving.

I think you meant 9011s. Stock lamps are 9006 lows and 9005 highs. The Phillips HIR are 9012 lows and 9011 highs. I've been running 9011s in all 4 positions for years now and they are way better than stock.
LEDs in my experience produce a very scattered pattern in halogen housings. Some folks run some modern ones with better results, but I can't justify the cost.
Yep, thanks. My old brain sees them as the same after doing the swap and tab trimming so many times.

What about the parking/marker lights. When I bought my LX the headlights work, but the markers on the front haven't been. The in
license platee light works so that indicates it's not a fuse issue. anyway, I bought plug n play leds from Amazon thinking I could just pop em in, but I'm not sure if they'll be a heat issue. Anyone know?

Last edited:
What about the parking/marker lights. When I bought my LX the headlights work, but the markers on the front haven't been. The incense plate light works so that indicates it's not a fuse issue. anyway, I bought plug n play leds from Amazon thinking I could just pop em in, but I'm not sure if they'll be a heat issue. Anyone know?
You lost me at " incense".....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom