Steering Issue. What can be wrong? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Funny you should say that. I just got a new set of TRE's from cruiser outfitters. Gonna install them this weekend.
I had play in my drivers front wheel from 3 to 9 pos. Replaced TREs and its gone, as is the death wheel wobble and dartiness from speed.
Fresh TREs make a big difference all around. Be prepared to replace the rods themselves too. Mine were buggered by the time i could get the old ends out and ended up just replacing with Moog from rockauto.
Now i'm just darty from the .1* toe they set on the alignment!

The difference between rack and pinion and what we have on 80 series is pretty big actually. You might be surprised when you look at the FSM and discover the allowable slack, left to right ,versus a more modern steering setup. When i bought mine i had like 7 inches cumulative play left to right till i adjusted the steering box to spec. I always thought some unscrupulous mechanic loosened the nut to drum up business since mine was never offloaded and spent most its days as a dealer owned rig.

Sticking caliper is my other idea but most likely it'll be something mentioned in previous posts as they are right to have you get those things in order first. Check yer nuts!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom