This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My power steering recently stopped working. Was whining a bit a seemed to be leaking a bit from the pump. I replaced the pump and new lines. Now I can't get air out of the lines. Foam and still whines. I wondering if my rack is bad. I've checked for 2 days of running it and it has no leaks but still lots of air. I got two questions, is there something I'm missing? Does anyone know the cheapest place to get a new/reman or something equivalent rack?

My power steering recently stopped working. Was whining a bit a seemed to be leaking a bit from the pump. I replaced the pump and new lines. Now I can't get air out of the lines. Foam and still whines. I wondering if my rack is bad. I've checked for 2 days of running it and it has no leaks but still lots of air. I got two questions, is there something I'm missing? Does anyone know the cheapest place to get a new/reman or something equivalent rack?
You don't have a rack.

You have a hose that's not fitting properly, or a seal sucking air.

Did you use an OEM pump or cheap crap from Rockauto or Autozone?

What fluid are you using?

All parts are OEM and using Red line fluid.

Have you done the bleeding procedure from the fsm? It is basically turning it lock to lock a bunch of times with the front wheels in the air. I'd triple check that your clamps are tight and hoses are undamaged.

I have done that quite a few times. I still have foam. I'm going to recheck connections and clamps again tomorrow but I thought I would have a leak if something wasn't right. I've never really heard of the gear box going bad in these but idk.

I have done that quite a few times. I still have foam. I'm going to recheck connections and clamps again tomorrow but I thought I would have a leak if something wasn't right. I've never really heard of the gear box going bad in these but idk.
As noted by CharlieS above, it takes a lot of bleeding to get all of the air out, worked best for me to have engine off, key turned to ACC "on", wheels off the ground and turn lock-to-lock a million times with the reservoir cap off.

Last edited:
Yes synthetic ATF. I just ordered a quart of Toyota ATF. I'm going to flush it check clamps and connections. Try it again and hopefully it improves.

Last edited:
If there's a lot of air in the oil, letting it sit for several hours helps let them dissipate.
This….. leave the cap off the reservoir. It should self bleed over night. I learned this when I installed hydro assist. I was doing the bleeding procedure per the fsm when my wife called me for dinner. Next morning the system was bleed out. Air wants to rise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom