Steering gear box rebuild (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I went to Napa today to try and find a replacement input shaft seal since Toyota doesn't sell it separately. Napa didn't have a listing for it, but they sent me to a company that deals with bearings and power transmission components (Industrial Solutions). They were able to match up the seal based on the ID/OD and thickness, since most Japanese auto manufacturers don't release all the data on the seals they use.

We came up with part number 18-32-7-DL, and it cost me all of $3.90 and tax. I'll swap this in to the second gear box with the blown input shaft seal, so I will have a second gear box ready to go (not sure where, but it'll be ready!)

I'll update the first post with some part numbers.

Can I put in this out shaft seal without removing the gear box or taking it apart?

Can I put in this out shaft seal without removing the gear box or taking it apart?

Short answer, no.

That seal is the absolute last step in the process.

is there a gap between the bearing and the seal? or does the bearing press right against the seal?
also if you replaced the seal did you get it from rock auto?

Thanks
zakir

Nazkin, which seal are you asking about?

I resealed my box today and figured I'd post my observations. The process is not too bad, especially if you have all the proper tools. The sector shaft Teflon seal and oring was a pain. The repair manual says to heart shape the Teflon seal and install it into the oring. I had better luck setting the Teflon seal in and pressing the oring in around it. The piston Teflon seal is very easy to cut so be extra careful installing the piston. The repair manual says to use an sst similar to a piston ring compressor and compress the seal for 5-7 min. I have most sst available but most of them for the old stuff are long lost and no longer available. I cut the new Teflon seal so I reused the original and I used Emory cloth to smooth the edge in the box to help the Teflon seal go in and it seemed to help. I used a pitman arm puller on the pitman arm and it came off pretty easy, no press needed but I also have a rust free Texas truck. I set my preload with the sst and torque wrench, but it feels too stiff. I'm not sure if it's normal or if the box was not set correctly when it was last rebuilt.

hi guys
ive pulled my power steering box out of my 80 series and it has play on the sector shaft and the cruiser is driving like crap. ive been told to change the box but over here in aus we cant buy the sector shafts
is there any way on stopping the up/down movement on the sector shaft going up to the steering wheel
will a sector shaft from a lhdrive fit a rhdrive
any help on this would be great
regards peter

This is an awesome guide! i just rebuilt my box today and the only problem i faced was getting all the ball bearings back in.

Also which way do i turn the adjusting screw to loosen my steering? its way to stiff
Thanks!

We came up with part number 18-32-7-DL, and it cost me all of $3.90 and tax.

I have the Toyota reseal kit in front of me. The seal is made by NOK and the part number is AP8096E. These are the specs: Inside Diameter: 18.01 mm,0.709 in; Outside Diameter: 32 mm,1.26 in; Width: 7.01 mm,0.276 in.

I went to Napa today to try and find a replacement input shaft seal since Toyota doesn't sell it separately. Napa didn't have a listing for it, but they sent me to a company that deals with bearings and power transmission components (Industrial Solutions). They were able to match up the seal based on the ID/OD and thickness, since most Japanese auto manufacturers don't release all the data on the seals they use.

We came up with part number 18-32-7-DL, and it cost me all of $3.90 and tax. I'll swap this in to the second gear box with the blown input shaft seal, so I will have a second gear box ready to go (not sure where, but it'll be ready!)

I'll update the first post with some part numbers.

To the ih8mud gurus. Reading else where I found references to the Input shaft seal part being Toyota p/n 90311-24001. Has any one had experience with this? Is this the correct part number?

Additionally:
Non genuine numbers are:
Brand SKF -- part number 7007
Brand NOK -- part number AP8096E
Toyota p/n 90311-24001 (same seal as used in the power steering pump)

Source: http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19671&highlight=

To the ih8mud gurus. Reading else where I found references to the Input shaft seal part being Toyota p/n 90311-24001. Has any one had experience with this? Is this the correct part number?

Additionally:
Non genuine numbers are:
Brand SKF -- part number 7007
Brand NOK -- part number AP8096E
Toyota p/n 90311-24001 (same seal as used in the power steering pump)

Source: http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19671&highlight=

+1 Anyone? The vane pump housing seal for my '96 shows p/n 90316-17003, different than the one you found mentioned at toyotasurf. I have the vane pump rebuild kit so looks like I'll just have to get finished with the gear disassembly and compare the seals. I'd prefer having a confirmed p/n though....

In case anyone was confused like I was after reading this thread....the input shaft seal IS included in the Toyota gasket kit. Perhaps it was not at some point??? Other than the kit, the only other part I needed was a replacement guide nut. The kit is below with the seal in the lower right corner. photo123.JPG

So what fluid did you use? ATF or Power Steering fluid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom