Steering gear box rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

:clap::clap::clap::wrench::wrench:

How many :banana: job is this to do does not look to hard?

Kevin

The only tricky parts that might get the best of a driveway mechanic are the pitman arm and 10mm power piston plunger guide nut. Getting those off/out of the box may require some extra help and tools. The rest of the rebuild is pretty simple stuff.

quick question.

does anyone know off the top of their head if this box is the same as the one in my 91?

of course, mine is leaking as well. if it is, i feel pretty good about goin at it with your write up, amazingly thorough. thanks

Nice job Adam. Thanks for taking the time to document this while doing the project. It's a PITA to having to interrupt your work flow but your effort is appreciated by all.

I'm trying to visualize how you separated the pitman arm in a press. Did you use a bearing splitter?

Thanks.

Nice job Adam. Thanks for taking the time to document this while doing the project. It's a PITA to having to interrupt your work flow but your effort is appreciated by all.

I'm trying to visualize how you separated the pitman arm in a press. Did you use a bearing splitter?

Thanks.

Yup, it was a very large bearing splitter (similar, if not the same as this one: OTC Tools OTC 1126 - Bearing Splitter - 5/8in-8in). The splitter was installed in the gap between the pitman arm and the gear box and the box was then hung upside down in the press with the splitter. We left the nut and lock washer on loosely so the box wouldn't hit the floor. After a number of pumps on the press the pitman arm separated from the box. Hearing protection would be a good idea as it sounded like we had blown up a tire!

Ahh, copy that. Thanks.

I JUST DISCOVERED THAT MY STEERING GEAR BOX IS LEAKING AS WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hey guys. I bought my 91 LC 7 months ago. OUCH!!!!! This is a great write up, but I cant do a job like this!!!! I really wish I could do this. I'm in Orange County, Costa Mesa. Is this a job for Toyota? A local shop? Any particular shop you guys recommend? TLC? Yota Masters? What do you guys think? How much is a job like this run? Need to save money!!!!!! I"m FREAKING OUT!

I went to Napa today to try and find a replacement input shaft seal since Toyota doesn't sell it separately. Napa didn't have a listing for it, but they sent me to a company that deals with bearings and power transmission components (Industrial Solutions). They were able to match up the seal based on the ID/OD and thickness, since most Japanese auto manufacturers don't release all the data on the seals they use.

We came up with part number 18-32-7-DL, and it cost me all of $3.90 and tax. I'll swap this in to the second gear box with the blown input shaft seal, so I will have a second gear box ready to go (not sure where, but it'll be ready!)

I'll update the first post with some part numbers.
photo 2.jpg

Last edited:
I JUST DISCOVERED THAT MY STEERING GEAR BOX IS LEAKING AS WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hey guys. I bought my 91 LC 7 months ago. OUCH!!!!! This is a great write up, but I cant do a job like this!!!! I really wish I could do this. I'm in Orange County, Costa Mesa. Is this a job for Toyota? A local shop? Any particular shop you guys recommend? TLC? Yota Masters? What do you guys think? How much is a job like this run? Need to save money!!!!!! I"m FREAKING OUT!

Don't freak out. Do a search on this board about a company in TX that is rebuilding our boxes for $100+shipping. It might be at the beginning of this thread.

Don't freak out. Do a search on this board about a company in TX that is rebuilding our boxes for $100+shipping. It might be at the beginning of this thread.

West Texas Offroad. The rebuild kit is around $135 from CDan IIRC.

Thanks Nay and Alia176. I was able to get my steering box re-built re-sealed from the Stealership. Did it hurt? I'm still bleeding!!!!!!!!!!!! Next time, if this should occur down the line, I'll look into West Texas Off-Road. By the way fellas? Where on this site may we order parts from CDan? Pretty straight forward?

great post! You are a gentleman and a scholar!

The pictures on the first page do not display for me. Is it just me or were the pictures moved?

I can't see the photos either, just a negative sign.

Man, I hope the OP still has those pictures and can fix the link. I am planning yet to rebuild my steering gear box before winter and I remember this write-up was really good. At least we still have the text.

Wonder if a moderator can find them?

Fixed! I reset my Picasa Web permissions and it must have locked out those photos. Sorry guys!

FYI, this gearbox is still working perfectly in my truck 9 months later.

Hey Adam, nice writeup, was it you I saw in traffic a few weeks ago (you were pulling a boat)?

Thanks for the link to Industrial Solutions, I usually use GBS but I find their pricing is climbing really fast, I will try these guys for seals in the future...

If you ever need machine work etc. I have a pretty well set up shop in Wakefield...

JL

Hey JL, that was me. Let me know if you are going to try the rebuild and I'll come up and give you a hand and check out your shop!
Cheers,

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom