Steering freeplay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Taking the slop out of my 71 now. Check and replace the tie rid ends, rebuild the center arm, possibly replace the steering box. Find whats loose and get it out of there. Should tighten things back up.

Rag joint? Don't know if 60's have em but my 40 did and it was worn out, cut "freeplay" in half when I replaced it. My steering oddly got better after my 4" lift. :dunno:

I really don't know, when i got the cruiser home, there was a spare new toyota rag joint in the glove box. 8) The PO actually had a bunch of spare parts that he hadn't got around to replacing (all 8 wheel cylinders-$$$). I got lucky, it was a Toyota part, so I'm guessing he got it either from SOR or from a dealer.

Sor has got them, OEM for $54, AFTMRKT for $24.
http://www.sor.com/sor/products2.tam?xax=20190&category.ctx=098-25&page#.ctx=098

Oh yeah, I didn't replace the rag joint, my mechanic did (this was early in my cruiser ownership). He said it was a real P.I.T.A. to replace, took him and his son an hour or two, had to unbolt the steering gearbox and move it around to slide the old joint off and get the new one on.

One other thing you may consider if you hadn't already done it, is to put those $12 4 degree shims in. My steering had a fair amount of play and the associated wander especially on well truck worn asphalt roads. I lifted 2.5 inches and the combo of my state of slop combined with the change in castor made my 40 downright frieghtening. :ugh: Installed the shims and I no longer need to carry spare underwear. Plan on doing the rest of the necessary stuff when I get around to putting in my mini psteering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom