Steering clunk (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, I searched this awhile back, and never really came up with naything definitive....

When I hit small bumps or when I'm testing the sick articulation on a curb over at Starbucks, There is something in the column that moves.

The steering wheel does not move, but you can feel a clunking in there.

The steering shaft moves ever so slightly when you grab it under the hood. There are two small u-joints on either end, but there isn't a lot if any movement there.

I took the sheild off the lower portion, no grease fittings I can find anywhere....

The PO replaced tie rod ends and stabilizer.....

Where is the movement coming from? the steering box?

Just can't get my mind on this....

Those u-joints look like they would be fun to get to!

Mine does the same thing but I never investigated it................

Move the steering wheel back and forth, get a light clunk clunk sound

Mine too. Checked all the steering components and they seem tight. Adjusted the play in the gear box and still have the clunk.

spring packs?

Could it be the leafs are shifting/binding a bit? Kinda like you can feel it 'binding up' then releasing when the 'clunk' happens?

just a thought...

My steering wheel doesn't move, but I can feel it through the wheel.

Not sure about the leaf spring thing, but since it is all connected, that could be an issue....

I have original springs that still have some arch to them, not really flat yet.

I can't help but think it is related to the small u-joints on the shaft, even though they only move very minimally, under stress from bumps maybe they move a little more.

Those would have to suck pretty badly to get to.....pulling the dash, or the master cylinder, or disconnect steering box and power steering lines? Yuck.

CardinalFJ60 said:
Could it be the leafs are shifting/binding a bit? Kinda like you can feel it 'binding up' then releasing when the 'clunk' happens?

just a thought...

No way on mine..........It'll do it at rest, not running, just standing next to the truck and moving the wheel back & forth.
So it's in the column or the gear...............

I have the exact same issue on my 87. My entire front end was rebuilt (knuckles, tre's, etc) and it is still there. It is VERY annoying. According to the shop all is perfect even the "rag joint" (I think that is what he called). So I guess the spring theory is the best. When I save my pennies, I will get new springs, and hopefully that will solve my problems>

Zack

I've got a groaning noise in my column whenever I turn the wheel. It's come on gone for the last few years, lasted for a week then would go away for months. Now for the last two months it's whenever I turn the wheel. I suspect it's the bearing in the column behind the wheel but in front of the tilt joint. Laziness has kept me from tearing it apart though. Plus it's my daily driver.

I've got the same thing! Was also thinking it was the shaft u-joints since there's a little movement in there, but checked another guys' FJ62 and he's got the same small amount of movement. Since there aren't any other symptoms, maybe not worth worrying about. It'd be nice to figure it out though. Will have to look more closely at springs and stabilizer.

I some cases the clunk is in the leaf springs. There is movement between the leaves when the springs flex. Sometimes I hear it when I reverse out of my driveway while hitting the brakes and turning the steering wheel.
I have driven one wheel onto a ramp and tried greasing between the leaves on the spring on the other wheel, and that fixed it for a while. The spring clamps, if worn, can make the sound worse.

For steering wheel play, rock the steering wheel from side to side and you should have an inch of freeplay IIRC (refer to the workshop manuals).

i have the same thing, but it only seems to happen on sharper turns and i have only noticed it when i am turning left... :confused:

I really have no play in the steering wheel, it is relatively tight, and my trucks tracks very good.

It feels as if something is moving, in the steering column, when I hit bumps.....an oise would not be that bothersome, hell, it moans and groans but it is a 20 year old truck with 200K+.

I don't get the feeling it is unsafe, and I forget about it at times, what else is there? I have seen FSM breakdowns, is there something between the firewall and actual wheel?

I can't be the only one unless it is a 200+K thing.

I think it's gotta be our springs! It is still F'ing annoying!

Zack

have same problem. Mine clanks on turns and over bumps. think is the steering u joints. Mine stil does it when turned off parked on the drive way. I grab steering shaft and give it a little twist and there it is. sounds like it is coming from fire wall side.

what is this? could this possibley be a problem that my 60 doesnt have? noooooooooo waaay guys. i gonna have to get me some clunk.

sounds to me like it could be either u-joints. springs or ball joints

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom