Steering clunk (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the info, I guess I will try to figure more out.

Problem is, I think my tie rod ends were already replaced by the PO, along with the stabilizer. Maybe he was chasing this same thing down....

I can only assume I'll be looking for any play in any component, I'm just not sure about trying to replicate it without the forces generated by the truck does while in motion....

it is in the lessons learned and fixit tips folder. unless your PO was the same as mine and you can trust his work 100%, i suggest getting into it and checking it out. the files said 30 mins, for me, taking my time, not knowing what i am looking at, i will guess 1 hour. nothing to lose right?

This clunk was fixed.

Had the same cluck in our 88 fj62. I thought it was something in the steering column and did all the checks mentioned by others in this thread but could never find it. Also checked stering box for loose mounting bolts, rebuilt knuckles and wheel bearings, rebuilt relay rod ends and still had the clunk. Would hear it every time backing out of driveway while making turn to right and going down sidewalk to street bump (gutter). Recently replaced all spring bushings and the clunk is now gone.

I traced my steering clunk to the slip joint between the two u-joints in the engine compartment. It's the shaft between the u-joints and is like a spline but square as I remember.

Probably some grease would fix it but it looked like a lot of work to take it apart and I never bothered.

Karl

Now we are getting somewhere. I'll grease the shaft :doh: and then check the various rods and arms for play.

And the worn bushings sound like a suspension issue that could be relevant to my stock sprung truck......

While of course, I'm pulling the rad this weekend :frown:

Are we sure we are all talking about the same "clunk"???

No, I think not.

Like any thread, you mention clunk through the steering wheel, and clunks for shifting leafs come into play.

No worries though, it's all good.

I guess 60s have quite a few creaks and groans. And for me, rad hissing...

Still all good points, I just have to weed through some posts (al are appreicated) and make a judgement call as to where to start until I come across it.

I agree. Even if I don't have the same clunk...I've learned a lot by reading this one.

Since I have original susp. that I don't believe has been messed with, other than the steering shaft I think mine could have something to do with shackle bushings......perfect excuse for new shackles and add-a-leafs for a low buck small lift.

over it now but have dealt with it

the clunk......did everything just about...lastly bought new bearings and removed the entire steering column and replaced and the clunk stopped somewhat but now completely...mine is definitely not springs but in the column itself....just wished it could be cured.

sven said:
the clunk......did everything just about...lastly bought new bearings and removed the entire steering column and replaced and the clunk stopped somewhat but now completely...mine is definitely not springs but in the column itself....just wished it could be cured.

100% with you sven .. isn't a leaves issue .. is a stering column problem. You fell that in the steering columb sometimes .. in a turbo, or in a bump ..

bearings (#21 and #77C on diagram)

refer to SOR attached .gif. I replaced the referenced bearings with a lot of hope. My wife came out to the garage and saw that I had the entire steering column on the workbench....she swore she'd never drive it again. Anyhow, I replaced these bearings and the clunk was better but not completely cured. I really did notice an improvement however. At this point, I've gotten pretty use to it but it really bothered me early on....felt like the truck was cheap or something...not solid feeling. If you go on birfield.com there is an arse load of archive info. on the 60 series clunk and as many cures listed as well. Good luck. I'm still 100% sure it is not the springs on my particular truck
098f.gif

sven said:
refer to SOR attached .gif. I replaced the referenced bearings with a lot of hope. My wife came out to the garage and saw that I had the entire steering column on the workbench....she swore she'd never drive it again. Anyhow, I replaced these bearings and the clunk was better but not completely cured. I really did notice an improvement however. At this point, I've gotten pretty use to it but it really bothered me early on....felt like the truck was cheap or something...not solid feeling. If you go on birfield.com there is an arse load of archive info. on the 60 series clunk and as many cures listed as well. Good luck. I'm still 100% sure it is not the springs on my particular truck

when I do this job maybe 2 years ago .. the part 620 ( not the fitting the entire section ) I thought is the origin of problem .. but here my Toyota dealer haven't it, then they plan to sell it to me in 620 USD .. !!! no way ..

I think I found/fixed it.

Saturday night I greased the tie-rod ends. Tightened up the feel a bit, clunk less severe but still there.

Sunday I loosened up the nut on top of the steering box and tightened the set screw a bit.

It is almost, 95% all gone. I would tighten it more, but I read somewhere in another forum (probably from back when I had my Mustangs) that too much is not a good thing.

Any ideas?????? Comments?

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a clunk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom