Starting an engine that hasn't run for a few years (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently acquired a 88 Toyota 4x4, 22RE. It hasn't run for about 2 years. Other than pull the plugs and pour about a tablespoon of Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders, changing the oil and filter, checking the radiator, and installing a new battery, any other advice? I planned to leave the plugs out and crank it assuming the starter works at first to move the oil around. Thoughts on draining the fuel tank first? Likely it's varnish by now. Thanks!

I'd drain the fuel and see what condition its in. The fuel tanks have a drain plug on them. If its super bad I'd drop the tank, clean it, change the filter and clean the lines out.

Fuel Filter..... maybe stick a camera in the sparkplug holes and see if there is rust, but i kinda doubt it as its only been 2 years.

Do not attempt to start anything on old gas... screws a bunch of stuff up. Drain and fill with premium. Other than that you’re on the right track with pulling the plugs and cranking for a while to increase oil pressure. Also helps pump oil up to the cam. Good luck!

I'd be draining the tank today but it's no fun in the rain.

Not much else to add. As a fun fact I have used a lever type pail pump to manually prime a 22RE oiling system (or any other engine) by clamping the hose from pump onto a fitting threaded into oil pressure sending unit hole. Got nice fresh oil up top susprisingly quickly. Fitting I had came from from my stash of assorted treasures/junk. I considered cutting the threaded portion off an old junk sender, also suspect axle housing vent may be same thread.

Not saying its required in this application. In the big picture this one hasn't been sitting very long. Does makes me feel better and is a handy bit of knowledge to file away for some day.

Can always pour oil on the rockers/camshaft to help get top end lube before priming. Itll just give it some extra protection. Just make sure not to over fill the motor oil if you do it.

Plus if you crank it without spark plugs, there's no compression=not much force on the bearings, so it's a nicer way of priming the oil system without going to a lot of effort

I have used a lever type pail pump to manually prime a 22RE oiling system (or any other engine) by clamping the hose from pump onto a fitting threaded into oil pressure sending unit hole
Dang.... i guess i have to get me one of those now...

Its probably arguable whether cranking the eng. For 1min with no start or having it flash up in 2 seconds and make 40 lbs of oil pressure and flow oil authoritatively is going to cause more damage from a "dry start".

Ideally one would:
Do a leak down...see if its even worth doing anything....
Then....
New oil new filter
Prime engine without spinning the motor
A pump or two of oil in each hole
New fuel
Hit the key

Non ideally one would:
Just hit the key...its only been 2 years

Last edited:
Still haven't drained the tank / new fuel

But, did pull the plugs, changed oil/filter (filter was completely dry), let the MMO sit for a day or so, new battery hit the starter. Oil from the cylinders went everywhere. My wife's 88 got a nice bath of MMO and junk. So now the plugs are back in and waiting for a dry driveway to drain the tank. Hopefully this weekend I can drive the thing.

2.jpg

4.jpg

Also, started removing all those lights. I mean the truck had lights on the front valance, attached to brackets on the rocker panels, under the tailgate, and those hideous things on the roof. Removed the shiny window vent things, the extra mirrors, and the tailgate cape. All that stainless steel!

Then my favorite thing, fixing creative wiring 101 add-ons.

HAHA I did the same thing when i was 12 after a rebuild of a slant 225 out of a dodge dart. Had the distributor set on exhaust in place of compression. HOT summer and the engine locked up before i figured it out. Ended up filling the engine up with oil.. and i mean full to the top of the rocker arm! drained it out and then pulled the plugs hit the starter and everyone got soaked in oil... worked to get it free...and rust prevention was distributed heavily and evenly everywhere ha.

I'd be nervous about putting anything in it like seafoam this early. If you do, I would plan to change fuel filters twice, one to get the thing running and once you run seafoam it might break things loose in the tank and fuel lines that you want to catch in the filter. Once you've run that through maybe switch filters to another one for your long term use.

seafoam is an additive people add to fuel (pretty safe) crank case (kinda risky as it thins your oil, but can be managed) and upper end vacuum (can be risky too but also managable) to clean out the top end valves etc.

Drained the tank yesterday, added fresh gas this morning. A few turns of the starter and she's alive! Running a little rough and hesitant from what I'm sure is still some old gas, but running. Even drove it a little. Gotta love Toyota.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom