Starter woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, I'm in need of help. I've been trying to figure out why my 96 Fj80 won't start. Right now if I turn the key, I hear a single click but it won't crank. It started out very intermittently where I could turn the key a few times and it would turn over but then it got worse and worse. Oddly it seems to want to turn over when its really cold, like -20 cold. Before you go telling me to look in the forums, I have. So far I've replace the fusible link, rebuilt the starter solenoid, and checked to make sure the cable running to the park sensor is good looking. Next on the list is to replace the starter with a Toyota new one. After that I'm really not sure. Any suggestions?

Sounds like an issue with the solenoid contacts and/or plunger. Battery post-cable connections good?

What parts did you use to rebuild the solenoid? Did you replace the plunger? Did you thoroughly clean it out? When it refuses to turn over, have you jumpered directly from the battery to the starter solenoid?

I have a similar situation in my 95 80. I attempted to start it and just have a click. I can’t get it out of park either. I checked fuses and it has a new barttery and newish starter. I have a fusible link on order. I’ll try that when it comes in. Any other recommendations?

Battery post-cable connections good?
^^^this is surprisingly more critical than one would think. It was the cause of my starting woes till I figured it out (by accident mostly).

Really late to replying but it turned out it was some wire connection going to one of the computers. Couldn’t tell you which one, but when I did the engine swap I must have screwed with the wiring harness just enough. The fix… jiggle the wires behind the glove box. Occasionally I’ll have issues but it’s holding together for the most part.

There's a (somewhat) common problem with shorting out where the wires pass through the firewall in that area, any chance that's the cause?
I’ve looked at that and I don’t think so. And that includes the wires near the intake manifold. But, I’m an idiot with too many tools so I would never rule that out. It seems to be related to 4 or 5 wire cluster that plug into something above the glove box. At random times my truck will just die and I’ll have to jiggle those wires, but that only happens once every few months.

On odb2 vehicles the wire harness from the engine computer rubs against the sharp edges of a metal brace by the glove box and can short out. You should be able to search and find some photos.

It seems to be related to 4 or 5 wire cluster that plug into something above the glove box. At random times my truck will just die and I’ll have to jiggle those wires

Hm, are you sure that the connectors seated fully and the locking tabs clicked into place? It would be pretty bad if you were barely making contact, since it creates high resistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom