Starter replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First time 70 series owner. I’ve got a 1988 75 series troop carrier. It has 300,000km on the clock and Australian owned. I believe my starter has just died. What are the main causes? How much would it cost to get professionally fixed? Any general tips?

Also, some general questions. where exactly can I find the tachometer sensor? And what is the easiest way to get to my front fuel tank sensor?

Cheers for any help
Wilson

"Fixing" a starter usually, for most people, means replacing it with a new starter. Removing the old starter and installing a new one is a simple job but kind of a hard, down on the ground, dirty one. Any local mechanic can do it for you for probably 30 minutes of labor.

Keep your old starter and have it rebuilt (a very quick job) by a shop that works on starters and alternators. A few parts, a little elbow grease, and you have a whole "new" clean spare starter. In most cases.

Last edited:
First time 70 series owner. I’ve got a 1988 75 series troop carrier. It has 300,000km on the clock and Australian owned. I believe my starter has just died. What are the main causes? How much would it cost to get professionally fixed? Any general tips?

Also, some general questions. where exactly can I find the tachometer sensor? And what is the easiest way to get to my front fuel tank sensor?

Cheers for any help
Wilson
starter, get replaced and get your broke one fixed as a spare.
tach sensor is on the bell housing
front fuel tank level sensor, there is a round cover behind the front seats sort of in the middle

"Fixing" a starter usually, for most people, means replacing it with a new starter. Removing the old starter and installing a new one is a simple job but kind of a hard, down on the ground, dirty one. Any local mechanic can do it for you for probably 30 minutes of labor.

Keep your old starter and have it rebuilt (a very quick job) by a shop that works on starters and alternators. A few parts, a little elbow grease, and you have a whole "new" clean spare starter. In most cases.
beauty thanks mate.

starter, get replaced and get your broke one fixed as a spare.
tach sensor is on the bell housing
front fuel tank level sensor, there is a round cover behind the front seats sort of in the middle
cheers mate.

with tacho sensor, will it be on the top of bell housing and be annoying to access or is it easily accessible from below? ie it is on the side of the bell housing...?

Hi all

I have a 1981 BJ42 3B and the starter motor died. I ordered a new one online and it seems like it will need to be installed "upside- down" (with the solenoid on top) so the motor isn't hitting the engine block.
This isn't a big deal, but when I was trying to install the starter it seems like the alignment is out by 2 or 3mm on the top threaded bolt so I can't lock it in properly.
The starter seems to want to go down a couple more mm but can't because of the lip around the housing.
Has anyone had dramas like this before?
I think the original starter had some bush mechanics administered at some time so it's hard to have a base to work on.

Thanks in advance 🤘

Hi all

I have a 1981 BJ42 3B and the starter motor died. I ordered a new one online and it seems like it will need to be installed "upside- down" (with the solenoid on top) so the motor isn't hitting the engine block.
This isn't a big deal, but when I was trying to install the starter it seems like the alignment is out by 2 or 3mm on the top threaded bolt so I can't lock it in properly.
The starter seems to want to go down a couple more mm but can't because of the lip around the housing.
Has anyone had dramas like this before?
I think the original starter had some bush mechanics administered at some time so it's hard to have a base to work on.

Thanks in advance 🤘
Maybe post in the diesel section

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom