Question for the starter motor gurus (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

joekatana

GOLD Star
Threads
So I have been working on a 1HZ/H55 swap in a South American FJ73 . As the wiring harness looked more like a decomposed rats nest I pulled that out and swapped a complete 24 volt euro spec hzj73 witing harness in it . I looked at all my best 24 volt electrical parts for this and put in new Nipparts 24 volt starter motor I bought several years ago in Europe so unfortunately no warranty.

At my first starting up attempt I noticed this starter motor was spinning super fast but it also got super hot . As I wasn’t getting fuel to the ip on time it didn’t take long before the starter just started clicking and that’s it .
I will be swapping the starter but am wondering what could be wrong with this one as I would rather repair it then trow away ?

Any electrical gurus know what the most common failure points are on these new non oem starters ?
IMG_4564.jpeg
IMG_4565.jpeg
IMG_4566.jpeg

Solenoid is the most common failure point. Second is the winding connection between the motor and the solenoid. Third, and least likely is the bearings.

If it's spinning too fast, you have a voltage problem. The heat is the result of that.

If you're going to buy aftermarket rebuild parts, look for the heaviest gauge wire/contacts. ASP is my recommendation for aftermarket.

Solenoid is the most common failure point. Second is the winding connection between the motor and the solenoid. Third, and least likely is the bearings.

If it's spinning too fast, you have a voltage problem. The heat is the result of that.

If you're going to buy aftermarket rebuild parts, look for the heaviest gauge wire/contacts. ASP is my recommendation for aftermarket.
Solenoid has definitely nothing to do with it as I bolted another starter in the same cruiser and all is well now .

Windings might have an issue and could be a possible contender

Nipparts is a pretty good and big supplier for cruiser parts and I never had an issue with them before

Probably a 12V starter
If so they put the wrong 24v label on it , If it is indeed labeled wrong I am surprised it cranked as long as it did while I was trying to prime the fuel not knowing at the moment that the suction line was blocked ;)

its a pretty safe asumption its labeled wrong and IS a 12V based solely on what you describe as spinning fast and warm.

the copper contactor plates are a common failure and wear part, that may be the problem, but 12v starter was the cause.

take it apart and have a look, be interesting anyway

Last edited:
its a pretty safe asumption its labeled wrong and IS a 12V based solely on what you describe as spinning fast and warm.

the copper contactor plates are a common failure and wear part, that may be the problem, but 12v starter was the cause.

take it apart and have a look, be interesting anyway
Most 12 volt parts just bark and smoke once they are hooked up to 24v , I will probably just strip an old BJ starter and swap that 24v motor on this new housing , maybe something will be visually burned enough to see what the issue is .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom