Starter not engaging (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, went to the car wash after oil change and suspension rebuild. Went to start her back up, nothing! turn the key to start, the lights dim, but not so much as a click. 292k on the truck that we have been rebuilding, so pulled the starter had it rebuild, re-installed it and, nothing. Lights dim, but not so much a click. Battery is charged, Fuseable link? Ignition relay? Ignition barrel is new so I don't think it is this, I don't think it has a starter relay. Any advise would be a great help, thank you,

Last edited:
Lights going dim is a classic flat battery symptom. Voltmeter may show a surface charge on the battery that makes you think its fine.

Measuring the voltage whilst cranking is the definitive test, if you see it drop dramatically its a sure sign the battery is toast.

battery at 12.5v while at rest and 12.2v while key is in the start position. Fuseable link is intact with 12.5v across each pole. Headlights are appear to be fully illuminated, so the IGN relay should be okay.

Problem started after the car wash? Hmmm

Lol that’s like saying never get a cruiser dusty!

Did you pressure wash the engine bay? It could be entirely coincidental that this problem arose after the car wash. However, it sounds like something got damaged by water…. Electrical gremlins…. Ew…

Have you checked all your ground connections? Perhaps a ground wire is corroded or damaged and the pressure washer jostled it? Throwing spaghetti at the wall here. I’d check all the grounds though. Weird stuff happens when grounds go bad.

All the grounds have been replaced, Missouri car, had a bit of corrosion. The car has sat now for three weeks, bolted the starter on and attached the ground to the bottom attachment point. I believe it is water damage to something. The voltmeter and I have been reacquainted with each other, I forgot why I hated it in the first place.

Test the ignition coil?

The starter solenoid won't even click, but when I turn the key the dash lights dim. The battery only drops .3v's, but the juice is going somewhere, I just don't know where. I will probably start unplugging everything one by one, cleaning, inspecting and reinstalling.

Increase horsepower, don’t touch the transmission or rear end, eventually you will be rebuilding and or replacing them when they fail.

Get a handheld starter button and jump power from the battery to the solenoid (in neutral of course) and see if it’ll crank then. If so, your problem is between the solenoid and ignition switch.

Get a handheld starter button and jump power from the battery to the solenoid (in neutral of course) and see if it’ll crank then. If so, your problem is between the solenoid and ignition switch.

For this all you need is a length of wire with a appropriate size spade terminal that will fit the connection on the starter body. Touch the wire to 12+ to check the starter.

If it’s the wiring, it’s a simple fix. Use a relay a get power to the solenoid straight from the battery.

Cleaned the starter wire fitting, lots of "stuff" in the connector. Started right up. Thank you all for your suggestions. If cleanliness is next to godliness, I am the exact opposite.
When I first got my truck I drove around the corner for pizza and it wouldn’t start when I tried to leave. I sat there for an hour trying to figure it out. Some college kids tried to help me jump it. No go. Then they tried to give me a push so I could pop it into gear and get it going. No go. I parked it and walked home defeated. Called my dad who immediately said “clean the battery terminals”. What do you know… started right up.

I guess you should always try the simplest solution first…. Says the guy who pulled his engine to rebuild it because it wouldn’t idle… 🤣🤣🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom