Standalone ECU + Distributorless Coil On plug / Direct ignition conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have seen quite a few threads discussing the conversion of the factory/stock OBDII 1fz-fe engines to run this type of ignition. I know this is no simple task when we are dealing with the stock ECU... However, if we were to run a standalone like haltech, megasquirt, proefi, etc... what would hold us back at this point? If you were to remove the distributor (I think the cam/crank sensors are picked up here) I guess we would need a new crank/cam sensor made up/installed but hasn't there been plenty of retrofit cam/crank sensors on various platforms over the years that this should be pretty simple?

If you install a after market ECU, you can leave the dizzy installed for the cam/crank sensors then run individual coil packs. I have installed holden LS1 coils in my turbo 1fz. you can set it up with all standard toyota parts but involves new head, fabrication and a hell of a lot more work

How much more power does the distributorless ignition 1FZFE produce, normally aspirated versus turbo??

I wonder if we could run a N/A 2jz ecu... I guess I should look at pick ups and firing order?

In practical terms, what would be the measurable advantage over stock setup?

Thanks,

Muddy1

In practical terms without standalone engine management nothing. With standalone engine management more precise control of when the spark fires in the stroke allowing more precise adjustments to timing and better knock control. Also if you go high boost levels you can blow out the spark from a lower power distributor system. But that doesn't happen until 25psi or so and at that point you're 800+hp on this engine.

My plan is to CAD up a new low profile distributor cap that will eliminate the rotor and plug wire outlets. It will turn the distributor into nothing more that a cam position sensor have it machined by a buddy locally out of some scrap aluminum laying around his shop.

sequential COP ignition will be much more precise to control

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom