SST for tightening on FF rear hub (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

theferg

SILVER Star
Threads
Where'd you get your SST for tightening on FF rear hub...you know, that three pronged-ish thing? I know there was some guy that fabbed himself one up...but I don't think I can do that at the moment. Anybody wanna make me one? How much to they run new? What about a discount one? ;) C-dan? I think I found the part number: 09509-25011?

-Ferg-

ghjwt

Last edited:
[quote author=theferg link=board=2;threadid=11480;start=msg104571#msg104571 date=1076718525]
Where'd you get your SST for tightening on FF rear hub...you know, that three pronged-ish thing?

-Ferg-
[/quote]

:rolleyes:

Got 2 of 'em in front of me ;) they cost about 52 bucks.

At the risk of annoying the junk yard dog, I'm hi-jacking this thread :flipoff2:

I know a few people (including one who might surprise) have fabricated their own. I have been meaning to post a thread asking for the following info.

-diameter of the disk
-distance of each prong from centre of disk
-distance of prongs from each other
-dimensions of stud/bolt used to make the prongs
-any bright ideas on how to make it turn without fabricating a 1/2" socket hole in the middle

from this I think I can make my own.

Hey CDan, how much is the lock nut itself?
Is it pricey?

I had some ideas about making my own as well but now that me axle's all back together I've nothing to work with.

I was thinking of buying the piece.... then I would know *exactly* what the dimensions were :D

BTW: a fabbed tool pic is on my website (now back up...)
http://65.40.131.223/fzj80_rear_bearing.htm

Semlin,

I made mine from dimensions CDan posted.
Basically 3" disk
prongs are 2" equilateral triangle on centers
prongs are 1/2" dia.
prong ends are just under 1/4" dia. 7/16" long(Dan's were metric dimensions)

For the center you can just weld the head of a bolt on the back to put a socket on and turn, I cut the half inch drive end off an old socket and welded it in. 19/32 socket - anyone remember that old Fo*d socket?

Bill

thanks Bill, nice job
Does it matter how long the prongs are?

Also, can you make the disk bigger? I am thinking I will use bolts so I need some room to tap a hole.

Semlin,

Yes, it does matter on the length of the prongs. I made mine 2 7/8" long. You can go longer but I wouldn't go much shorter. No problem going wider on the disk diameter.

Bill

I got the OTC socket from my local NAPA for $38. The OTC part# is 6064.

[quote author=lagwagon link=board=2;threadid=11480;start=msg104802#msg104802 date=1076745481]
I got the OTC socket from my local NAPA for $38. The OTC part# is 6064.
[/quote]

You lost me dude... Are you saying you got a tool from Napa that is relatively the same as the SST I'm lookin' for?

-Ferg-

I'll be making one soon as things slow down at the shop (Spring?). I'd weld a big nut to the back for turning if I didn't have an EDM machine handy for the square hole.

Here is a pic. The packaging reads 92-97 Toyota rear FF

Here is what the "genuine article" looks like:

From the "wrench side":

lagwagon, the OTC tool dispenses with the smaller inner prongs and the prongs look very short, does it work anyway?

Hey Simon, I'll go "halfers" on the one from Dan if you want.

Riley

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom