Springtail MPAC 1977 FJ40 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.springtailsolutions.com
I had started another post as an introduction but decided to transfer some of the info where it can be better found if someone is looking for "Builds" Aslo, I held off until we officially were vendors on the forum.

1977 FJ40 with a 305 Chevy conversion

The intent of the build will be to have a vehicle to center our attention to over the next year. The focus will be to create some usable storage in the FJ40. Obviously, we will look to the cargo area and the ambulance doors as an application for our MPAC racks...But also, we will look to the doors, dash and seat backs as potential candidates as well.

First off...we need to build a nice FJ to work with. :)

Here is a picture of my original FJ40

It has been a while since I have had an FJ40, my last one was a 1979 and was my DD for 19 years.

image03.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the newcomer

photo2.jpg

20101027_17.jpg

20101027_9.jpg

It runs well but has a multitude of issues to be addressed. I am excited to find a place like this that has a wealth of knowledge in the archives. I already have explored some of them and hope to contribute as well as this project proceeds.

The goals with the build will be to have a slightly modified, attractive (Not so nice that it won't get Off Roaded) and reliable FJ for R&D of the storage products.

A good portion of what you see on the newcomer (other than the frame and portions of the drivetrain) will not survive the Build.

Out with the bad...in with the good ;)

Here is my FJ Cruiser as well...

DSC_0019.jpg

And an example of the storage product that we make for the FJ Cruiser. You can see that we have developed a system that utilizes MOLLE / PALS and can be used for hard mounting items like Powertanks (CO2), Recovery equipment and Guns / Hunting.

DSC_0129.jpg

Doc

The main issue for me was to either buy an FJ with a better tub or to replace the body. After a meager attempt to obtain another FJ40 locally only to find yet another owner that honestly believes that his FJ40 is lined with platinum...I decided to bite the bullet and dive in head first.

When I moved past that issue and decided to buy a whole new tub...then it was the angst of Aluminum or Steel.

This week, I placed an order for a complete tub that will be manufactured over the next 5 weeks. It will be built by in Duluth Ga (Oscar Florez). Oscar has a great reputation onMud and seems to make a beautiful product.

My wife (and boss) had the opportunity to visit with Oscar a couple of months ago and that visit was paramount in our decision.

Pacol1.jpg

Pacol2.jpg

The plan will be to ship the completed tub straight to our Linex guy and have him do both the underneath and inside of the tub in a color match Linex.

Watching and waiting here too Doc!

Your products are amazing and absolutely the kind of thing I am looking for. The only problem is you offer nothing for the 80 :(. The system you have developed for Tahoes is just awesome.

Your products are amazing and absolutely the kind of thing I am looking for. The only problem is you offer nothing for the 80 :(. The system you have developed for Tahoes is just awesome.

That may be changing soon....sort of in a collateral impact sort of way :)

One thing that I am working on will definitely work in the 80

https://forum.ih8mud.com/springtail-solutions/448120-mpac-back-pack-hook-seat-back.html

It is likely that the headrest for the FJcruiser will fit the TLC 80...if not, I will be making some blank models that can be drilled to fit you particular application.

Also we are working on a drawer system for the FJC that may also translate to the TLC 80

The FJ module is a total of 27 1/2 inches deep and 41 3/4 inches wide. The drawer is 10 inches high. We are also making a set of MPAC Racks (similar to the Tahoe MSM unit) that could be incorporated into the unit.

The downside....not cheap.

image001.png

Doc

Update: Still really in the planning phase.

I have decided to continue the FJ lineage in a retro-forward sort of fashion (does that make sense???)

I am trying to source a set of FJ Cruiser front seats..the appearance is very similar to the older FJ seats and I can have a set of built in arm rests (important to the wife)

I managed to trade for a rear seat that matches the FJ fronts and has integrated seat belts.

IMG_3908-1.jpg

They should fit perfectly, and depending on the amount of room needed to lift them...I may build some drawers for underneath.

I will keep you posted.

Doc

Thanks!

I had envisioned (transiently) the idea of putting a 6.2 or 6.5 liter Chevy diesel into the FJ.

After talking to my mechanic about the 6.2 transplant, we decided that the negatives pretty much outweigh the positive attributes of such a project.

It looks like the KISS method of a simple 350 (260 hp/ 300ish torque) with an Edelbrock fuel injection will be the route that I may go. It fits well into my budget ~ $2500 for the components.

Specs on the Engine

350 Engine Specifications
4-bolt main with 2-piece rear main seal
Cast iron crankshaft
LT1/LT4 powdered metal connecting rods
Cast pistons (dished)
Hydraulic flat tappet cam (.383''/.401'' and 112° lobe separation)
Cast iron cylinder heads with 76cc chambers
8.5:1 compression ratio
Left and right hand dipstick (Requires 1/2" x 18 Plug for Unused Side - Not Included)
4-quart oil pan
Timing tabs for a 6-3/4'' or an 8'' balancer
Recommended spark plug: Accel #111-574 or any spark plug with 14mm .460'' reach, 5/8'' hex, tapered seat, projected tip

809-10067353.jpg

Specs on the Fuel Injection

Edelbrock 3506U - Edelbrock Fuel Injection Systems

The new Pro-Flo®2 (second generation) offers a complete fully-sequential EFI system with an all-new, powerful electronics package that includes everything you need to convert a carbureted engine to a modern fuel injection system. Starting with a new "flash-programmable" engine control unit (ECU) powered by EFI Technology, a leader in advanced electronic engine management and monitoring systems, the Pro-Flo® Gen-2 allows for more tuning features, fully sequential injector firing and limitless calibrations in a compact package. The Pro-Flo® Gen-2 includes a new software package with a graphic user interface that is user-friendly with an updated look. Additional software features include choice of Edelbrock exclusive hand-held calibration module (for tuning without a laptop) and new for Pro-Flo® Gen-2 has the option to laptop tune also, giving you the best of both worlds! Two tuning strategies include speed density (engine speed vs. manifold absolute pressure) and alpha-N (engine speed vs. throttle position). Included are base calibrations for common AMC, Chevy, Ford, and Chrysler applications. A narrow band O2 sensor is included and is also wide-band 02 compatible (wide band O2 not included). The complete package includes: intake manifold, throttle body assembly, fuel rails, fuel injectors, all sensors, wiring harness, ecu, hand-held calibration module, software, brackets and attaching hardware.

Yeah, I know....kind of boring :), But I am mainly looking for something that offers the kind of performance the vehicle needs and reliability. Not to mention a 3yr/36K warranty

As I delve deeper into this project, I realize that all of the warnings of expensive rebuilds were all absolutely true... With all of the added relatively unexpected expenses adding up, keeping the engine within a reasonable budget will be advantageous.

One of the days I will post a list of the entire expenses involved...sort of as a warning post for future builders ;p

Doc

Subscribed...this will be fun to watch. Great looking tub.

Thanks for watching, I will be all "tingly" whenever this tub arrives :bounce:

Tomorrow the fiberglass top goes to Linex to get the inside coated in white...I just could not see putting the old style liner back into the hardtop.

Next week, a lot of body components will go to mediablasting.

Unfortunately, due to our remote location...I have to drive quite a distance to get these services performed...now the weather is getting crappy again, 5-6 inches of snow tonight Uhhhggg!:steer:

Doc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom