Spring flip SUA ruins your handling? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.octagonmma.com
I've been installing the Saginaw power steering kit, combined from 4X4 Labs and Cruiser Outfitters, and now we have decide to spring flip "Frankenstein" as well. I could reuse the old spring pin and shackle hanger brackets, but I chose to buy new ones from Trail Gear for super, super clean install. Then I spoke with Luke at 4x4Labs and they opt to sleeve the frame and hang the shackles from the frame. A third option is a MAF spring flip kit. After discussing this operation with a buddy here on Mud, he is worried the pinion angle will be screwed up and the driveline(s) will bind. As a result highway handling will be severely affected. Remember I gotta daily drive this rig too so I'm concerned, but I don't understand the issues at play. I can't picture in my mind why the driveline angles would be impaired and what the highway has to do with it.

It seems like I could cut off the old spring mounts F & R, then weld new shackle hanger mounts inside and spring pins in the front and rear, install the springs in reverse, then I'm done.

What's the problem with doing it my way?

THANKS!

that is a shackle reversal not a spring flip. spring flip spins the actual spring around to gain more wheelbase as opposed to a shackle reversal that moves the shackle from the front to the back.

Sorry I did not differentiate. BOTH a shackle reversal AND a springflip. Didn't know to separate the events.

I think a shackle reversal stresses the front driveshaft under significant droop when the same droop with OEM front shackle set up doesn't. Jim C explains better:

"shackle-reason

I see.....so now I'm thoroughly corn fused as to the reason to even do a shackle reversal. MAF explains it really well but never addresses the driveline/caster issues.....

Last edited:
:: NYJeepin.com :: (O|||||O)

That gives an overview to the basic theory and is pretty good bias wise not saying ones necessarily better than the other.

here's the simple version:

for a dd rig, a shackle reversal is a nice way to go because nthe ride is slightly smoother and you won't have any bump-steer issues

for a wheeler, you're better off leaving the shackles and hangers where they are so you don't encounter any driveline issues

personally, i do not like shackle reversals. can you imagine how many hours toyota and other manufacturers spent working out the proper suspension design for these rigs? it's obvious that they had good reason to run the setup on the 40s and contunue utilizing it on later cruisers until they stopped using leaf springs.
i have other reasons for my opinion, but i don't want to add to the confusion.

doing the reversal will affect the front pinion angle which in turn will affect the front driveline angle. in order for you to end up with u-joint buinding issues, you'd have to have a lot of lift and a very short transmission, like a 3spd.

either way, this has precious little effect on freeway driving unless you plan on doing so in 4wd. i would'nt recommend doing that......

georg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom