Sporadic Sunroof Operation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is a wierd problem...

I just got my 92 FJ80 back from the paint shop.  I did the most of the minor prep work and will reinstall all removed parts. While I was putting everything back together I wanted to solve an annoying problem.

My sunroof had been replaced before.  At a fully closed position the rear edge was to high, even with all shims removed.  After much deliberation I assumed upon replacment the motor may have been removed, and the cable/tracks that move the sunroof were a few notches off of the timing of the motor.  

I figured by pulling the motor down and running it to the fully closed position, then moving the glass to the correct height and reinstalling the motor my problems would be solved.  This proved to be correct with the glass and cable/tracks in the correct position and the timing of the motor in the correct postion it closes perfectly.

My problem now is that the operation is totally sporadic.  I am able to open from a fully closed position to about 3/4 open.  After that it stops, then I have to toggle back and forth between tilt up and down several times to be able to get it all the way back.  Then to close it I have to use the tilt up position.  

This is a new one to me so if anyone has any ideas or thoughts feel free to dive in.  

-Darius

After buying a multi-meter and completing the switch continuity test, I have found the problem. The tilt up & down switch was working sporadically.

CruiserDan - Would you have a price for a new switch?

What would you guys think about using a used switch?

I don't see any issues with a good used switch (as opposed to a WELL used switch ::) ) New ones are part of the map light assembly. As I recall they are not cheap. I can check on that for you on Monday, if you like..........

Regards...Dan :beer:

CruiserDan - I'll try the local dealer on Monday, thanks though.

So you wouldn't be worried another switch that is just as old would be on it's death bed also? Mabey mine was just a fluk?

-Darius ;)

Dunno if it was a fluk, it may have been a fluke however. 8)

Used is not always undesirable. You need to pick and choose, also inquire about return policys.......
BEFORE you buy used.

Regards....Dan

Gumby,

I believe that it was a Fluke that finaly found the fluke in the forlorn fluk. :dunno:

rEgaRDleSS......dAMon... :beer:

thanks for the clarification there CD :stupid:

Darius,
I've had reasonable success with cleaning up corroded switches in general (not specifically the moon roof switch though.) Maybe it's just gunked up in there.

Get some emory cloth, some contact cleaner, alcohol, small files, small screwdrivers, lint free cloths, etc. and start cleaning.

Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome.
-B-

if its anything like the price of a 4runner window switch, i would try to get used- local dealer wanted around 150 for one, think the used one was about $30. my tilt doesnt work on 91 havent looked into it yet to see if its the switch or wiring.

okay the dealer here wants about $58.00 does that sound right CruiserDan?

I might try cleaning everything up real well, though it looks pretty clean

- Darius

Darius,

I come up with 81260-60010-B6, grey or 81260-60010-42, sable.

Suggested list price for ethier one is $79.88
If that is the part you dealer came up with, the price is very fair.........

Regards......Dan :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom