Spongy Brakes (Brake line replacement?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

super90 said:
Does the S/S line kit replace all the brake hoses ??!! All four up front and all, three?, in the rear ??!!
JDM kit 7 SS brake line replaced all.
1st pic from Front left to right: (4 pcs)
LXTREME_Front_Left.JPG
LXTREME_Front_Left_01.JPG
LXTREME_Front_Right.JPG

That is a nice setup LX_TREME!

If you don't mind, please post a link or more infor for acquiring this 7 SS brake line kit. And what about for those who already replaced 3 of them, can we just buy the other 4??

THX

LX_TREME said:
JDM kit 7 SS brake line replaced all.
1st pic from Front left to right: (4 pcs)

So the big question is, did the SS brakelines make a diffrence?

I think any new rubber lines would make a difference. The jury is still out on SS, as best I can tell. Lots of Porsche guys had them and then found they tend to fail catastrophically. One Porsche parts business in Dallas doesn't recommend them at all.

Here is another group of car guys that aren't convinced:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Performance/brakelines.htm

I'm going to replace all the remaining lines with the OE Yoda parts. I'll report back, but it might be a while. Too many other projects.

super90 said:
I think any new rubber lines would make a difference. The jury is still out on SS, as best I can tell. Lots of Porsche guys had them and then found they tend to fail catastrophically. One Porsche parts business in Dallas doesn't recommend them at all.

Here is another group of car guys that aren't convinced:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Performance/brakelines.htm

I'm going to replace all the remaining lines with the OE Yoda parts. I'll report back, but it might be a while. Too many other projects.

Hmm.. interesting. Did Dan put you up to this?? Stink'n dogs! :D

livelarg said:
So the big question is, did the SS brakelines make a diffrence?
Stock brake lines are made out of plastic which allows flex when applying the brake. Flex happens because air gets into the lines and allows less brake fluid to enter.SS lines, well, they don't flex at all, they keep all air out of the lines allowing for quicker more responsive stops and the SS lines don't actually make you stop any faster, it just makes the pedals engage sooner than usual and gives it a firmer feels, a result of the SS restricting any flex of the rubber.

If you are upgrading your brakes to the same oem size rotors than do not get the SS brake lines. It is overkill. In this situation, your best bang for the buck would be getting new aftermarket pads like hawk or ebc greenstuff. Start with this and keep the stock rotors, you will be pleasantly surprised about how well your brakes will be. If you want the look, than replace them with the slotted and drilled rotors.

If you want even better braking than opt for larger aftermarket rotor and a 4 piston caliber setup otherwise known as the "big brake upgrade". In this case you should definately get the SS brake lines. I would also put in 100% silicone brake fluid which is DOT 5 I believe. This is the only time I would recommend getting the SS brake lines if you are going towards a big brake upgrade. Otherwise, it's like upragding your PC from 2.0 GHZ to 2.1GHZ, you will barely notice the performance increase.

P.S: I know there are 2 company made larger aftermarket front 80-s rotors but wayy too much $$$$

Has anyone tried holding onto a front brake line with their fingers while another person presses hard on the brake pedal? I would think that any perceived expansion/swelling of the rubber line would be too much.

Given all the FJ40s with OEM rubber brake lines, I'm surprised that the rubber in a more modern brake line would be subject to breaking down and getting squooshy.

LX_TREME said:
No, you have to buy new set.

LX - you can easily get the other 4 if you wanted in stainless. Any number of custom ss brake line companies will do it with any end and any length. Most folks that go that route though pretty much agree that Earl's is the way to go. Also, they are right around the corner from you so you could have saved some time and effort vs going the JDM route.

Earl's Performance Products
189 W. Victoria St.
Long Beach, CA 90805
310 - 609 - 1602
Fax 310 - 762 - 6719

Yeah, I figured, but for those that do have the standard 3-piece set it's a good option.

Is the JDM set you got have any type of DOT or ANSI or ??? "approval"? Japanese equiv? Also, are they coated like all of the ones here in the states seem to be now?

clownmidget said:
Is the JDM set you got have any type of DOT or ANSI or ??? "approval"? Japanese equiv? Also, are they coated like all of the ones here in the states seem to be now?

Yes actually the JDM i got stamped and warranty by JIS (Japan Industrial Standard which was drawn up the on the basis of ISO 3996 standard, JIS D 2601 (automobile part one non- mineral oil type liquid pressure Stainless Steel hose assembly) it is based on high safety standard.

And the SS made of Teflon tubing, not rubber. Teflon has a number of advantages over rubber; the chief ones are that it doesn't expand under pressure and it doesn't deteriorate with age. It also resists high temperatures and is chemically inert, so it's compatible with all brake fluids.

However, Teflon is pretty fragile, so it has to be protected from physical damage (chafing, flying rocks, etc.).And the Teflon protected by armor Kevlar with an external sheath of braided stainless-steel wire... So that's why armored Teflon hose is usually called "stainless-steel hose".

super90 said:
Has anyone out there replaced ALL the brake hoses ?

I replaced all the hoses with new OEM. No diff in braking. Still have a soft pedal. With 250,000 miles on the clock though, seemed like a good thing to do.

LX_TREME,

Please share exact URL/Link/Telephone#/Part#s if there are any...

Thanks.

rockclmbr said:
If you don't mind, please post a link or more infor for acquiring this 7 SS brake line kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom