Spllit Case Ratio's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJBen

SILVER Star
Threads
I have conflicting reports on the ratio in early split cases...

80 to 82 2.28 34mm idler
83 to 85 1.95 34 mm idler
85 to 87 2.28 38 mm idler

per a TT article...is this correct?

I can answer part of it. I *believe* the 2.28 did not start until 4/86.

For sure, the 38mm idler did not start until 4/86 and went through the end of the FJ60 production.

If you want the "best" split case for an FJ60, a 4/86-87 is slightly more desirable.

Thanks for asking this question Ben!

I was wunderin' the same thing....................

I found on one site(which escapes me) that all FJ60 cases were 1.95 and FJ62 cases were 2.28

(so I'm lookin all over for a 62 case)

Marks 4WD shows all 60 AND 62 cases as 1.95

Then I just found on this site that 86-87 60 cases have the 2.28

So if CruiserDrew is correct(I'd belive him before most anyone else)
that opens up the market for me................

Found a great deal on a 62 case but I understand it requires mods to work in a 60...........

My understanding was all US spec splits are 2.28. I know the FAQ here says one thing, I asked this question here awhile back. IIRC the trucks that came with a lower first gear in the tranny (like the H55F) got the 1.99 ration in the low gear of the t-case.

Well Jason that would sure make everything a lot easier...............

anyone have any specs or proof?

I have a set of BJ60, FJ60 and HJ60 microfiche and the only different part numbers for gears is up to 10/85
and 10/85 and up

but of course it doesn't show ratios...............

p.s wanna see pics of the GTO

Cruiserdrew said:
I can answer part of it. I *believe* the 2.28 did not start until 4/86.

For sure, the 38mm idler did not start until 4/86 and went through the end of the FJ60 production.

If you want the "best" split case for an FJ60, a 4/86-87 is slightly more desirable.

that's what I believe...till I saw the article about the earlier, 80-83 was 2.28...then with the advent of the H55f...they switched to 1.9XXX All the other info is correct...

looking at picking one up...and was wonering if the article was correct....lol

basically...I'm putting an H41/split combo in my 55...and searching for a split case.

stinkyfj60 said:
My understanding was all US spec splits are 2.28. I know the FAQ here says one thing, I asked this question here awhile back. IIRC the trucks that came with a lower first gear in the tranny (like the H55F) got the 1.99 ration in the low gear of the t-case.

This is definitely wrong. I have an 84 case which is now spare and it is 1:1.99 and has a 34mm idler. I'm plotting to get it behind my FJ40!

It's funny that this varied country to country. I think Exiled said that the 2.28 came first in venezuela and was replaced by the 1.99 in later models. In the USA it was the opposite. Talk to Dave Tay about converting a FJ62 t-case for use with a manual tranny. It requires a new 4wd shift mechanism, and a different high low shift fork and rod.

In the US the FJ62 transfer case is pretty cool-the gears on the output shaft use bearings instead of bronze bushings like all the other transfercases before it. If you could sort out the details, that *might* be worthwhile for a swap on to a manual tranny.

I think Spector shows the same part number for the t-case low gear from 1980-4/86. I would really like to clear that up just so I know what final drive I have now.

Anyone know a difference between the 62 case and the 91-92 fj80 case. i hate full time 4wd drive and would like to run a 62 case in my 80 so it can be a part timer...I know the fj80 and the fj62 had the same tranny and engine I am just hoping I can run a 62 case with it.

In Venezuela at least, the 1.99:1 was always mated to the H55F, which was the standard Land Cruiser transmission from 1983-1992. I always thought the US market, since it never got any other transmission in the FJ60 except the H42, always had the 2.28:1, but I gave up a LONG time ago on Land Cruiser absolutes! :)

lowtideride said:
Anyone know a difference between the 62 case and the 91-92 fj80 case. i hate full time 4wd drive and would like to run a 62 case in my 80 so it can be a part timer...I know the fj80 and the fj62 had the same tranny and engine I am just hoping I can run a 62 case with it.

The 80 series case is a completely different animal. It would be cool if an earlier model split case could be adapted but it looks like the bolts are in the wrong place. If you get this to work, post it up!

lowtideride said:

Go to the international forum and ask how to convert an 80 to part time. I swear I have seen an Australian kit to do this with lock out hubs and more... I could be mistaken, but worth a try.

Part time 4WD kit for the 80:
http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/html/part_time_4wd.htm

My 60 series has the 38mm idler shaft and it's an 86 (November I think). It also has bearings in the front/rear output shafts.
It originally came with the 2WD to 4WD low transfer stick and 4WD high was via a button on the dash. I had the gearbox/transfer replaced with the older gearbox/tc and fitted the older 2WD - 4WD high - 4WD low selector, at that stage, I didn't know there were the different t/c's. I'm not sure of the T/C ratio.
I'm currently rebuilding the original gearbox/TC and will be refitting it because I don't like the (older) t/c selector as it's too easy to knock out of 4WD with my knee.

Aussie model, 12H-T with H55 5 speed manual.

Wow...the mystery continues...

I thought all until 86 were the 1.9XXX....but that article is throwing me off...from 80 to 83...hmmmmmm....

Cruiserdrew said:
Talk to Dave Tay about converting a FJ62 t-case for use with a manual tranny. It requires a new 4wd shift mechanism, and a different high low shift fork and rod.

In the US the FJ62 transfer case is pretty cool-the gears on the output shaft use bearings instead of bronze bushings like all the other transfercases before it. If you could sort out the details, that *might* be worthwhile for a swap on to a manual tranny.

Thanks Drew....how do I find Dave? Does he have a diiferent screen name?

Maybe I do want a 62 case..........I like bearings........

bearings rule

Ya, I knew about the kit, But throwing on a 62's case would be much better and cheaper. Gawld I hate AWD. I am alreayd runnign AISIN lock outs on the 80....but want to ditch the t-case for a part-time....I am gonna see what I can dig up....

-Al

jefferson-mo said:
Thanks Drew....how do I find Dave? Does he have a diiferent screen name?

Maybe I do want a 62 case..........I like bearings........

bearings rule

I'm here :)

It's not too hard, first locate a 4WD shift fork from any year split case (SOR about $50) then drill and tap the boss on the front half next to the 4WD indicator switch. The tap is 15mm-1.25, a bit hard to locate unless you go to a tool shop. This is for the detent spring, ball bearing and plug for the shift fork (buy the little bits new from Toyota)

Next, get the high-low shift linkage (not the fork but the shaft that goes through the case) and the arm. Or, to save $35 from SOR or $40 from Toyota, weld an arm at 90 degrees clockwise to the original arm so the action is side to side instead of front to back.

You can toss the vacuum shifter far into the bushes and fit a rubber bellow from the manual case. Better yet, eBay the vacuum shifter and that highly-sought-after VSV, and with the $$$ buy 1985+ manual shifter parts from Marv.

Dave

I stand corrected on the tap size :)

I still believe the particular 2.3? gear set you are referring to had an errant 34 teeth input gear added instead of the proper 32 input. But if a 34 teeth input can be installed in a 34 mm case with the usual 2.27 gears, it can be installed in a 38 mm case, don't you think?

Dave

One more (OK, I'm post padding) you can keep the vacuum shift high-low assembly in entirety, just weld an extra arm. I'd post pictures of mine if it hadn't already been installed. Using a manual arm you lose the high and low indicator switch functionality (at least in a 1993 non US case)

Rick's method refers to keeping the 4WD shift fork while changing the shaft to a new one. That is why you need a roll pin from Toyota. I got one a complete fork from another t-case.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom