split transfer case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:'( Just got towed back from an expensive weekend at the beach. The transfer case on my 78 40 series is now in two pieces. Not sure what happened exactly, one minute it was driving along fine, then it just let go with a bang. Is this a common problem or was I just unlucky? I have stock running gear pushing 32 bf mudders by the way.

Non specific generalized dicked upness. Common cruiser issue. I bet it was low on fluid then a bearing gave way and locked it all up. I bet it was loud!

I sell rebuilt transfers or you can do it yourself. Not real hard but you will need to start with an entire new case and gears.

Sorry Peggsy-

Where did the case crack? Did it really end up in two pieces? What a bummer, but man would that case ever make a cool table center piece! Swapping a new one in isnt that big of a job to do. Any oil left in the case?

Drew <><

I blew a transfer case in my '72 FJ40. The mechanic who serviced it a couple of days before failed to add lubricant, after removing it. Nasty.

My FJ60 has a "split" transfer case, but not the type that you are referring to.

;)

Yeah it was pretty loud, and yeah its definitely split. Part of the housing is still bolted to the transmission and the other half is sitting on the top of the bash plate. I had actually topped the transfer up the day before it went, but I've since found out it was probably leaking from a hairline crack. Apparently it is pretty common, enough so that my local landcruiser wreckers told me I'd have a hard time finding a new housing. They want to sell me a complete late model 4 speed with split transfer case ($800AU exchange), which is supposedly a lot stronger. The only thing is it won't be reconditioned, just pulled from a running truck. I figure if I go that route I'd want to recondition the whole lot, but I'm not sure just how much work is involved. My question now, is it worth having a go myself or better to leave it to a mechanic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom