Split transfer case with vacuum front drive actuator from FJ62 in FJ40 - Does is Fit? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am fitting it up now and looks like no big deal. There is already a hole in the frame rail in the area and I will elongate it some, then fab new rear mounts to drop the diaphragm about 1 inch. It will sit comfortably in the frame rail with plenty of clearance.

View attachment 2757109

View attachment 2757111

The picture I posted shows how the lever for the high low points in verses out. Seeing the the high low shift rod in your picture beside being too far out it will operate the lever the opposite way. Lever under the dash pull out will be high range and pushed up under with be low.

I am trying to finalize my plans for my 71..
things I want:
60 top cover for nicer shifting
Keep original vacuum controls on dash since they’re all there

If the torque tube is going to be tight even with the shorter H42 then I’m thinking I should just cut it out and use a 80-83 FJ40 transmission crossmember (I have one stashed).

If the torque tube is cut out does the extra 3” of transmission length really matter that much? Or will it make a difference with 71 tub clearance ? I would like the only cut i make in the floor to be for the transmission shifter.

I am trying to finalize my plans for my 71..
things I want:
60 top cover for nicer shifting
Keep original vacuum controls on dash since they’re all there

If the torque tube is going to be tight even with the shorter H42 then I’m thinking I should just cut it out and use a 80-83 FJ40 transmission crossmember (I have one stashed).

If the torque tube is cut out does the extra 3” of transmission length really matter that much? Or will it make a difference with 71 tub clearance ? I would like the only cut i make in the floor to be for the transmission shifter.

John @4Cruisers did this with a split transfer case into a 71 I believe. It was actually slightly shorter than the one piece case. On my 68 with a H42 from a 76 the hand brake is tight against the torque tube but does clear. 9/72 the torque moved slightly back and shaped.to clear the hand brake. I use a 75/76 transmission cover trimmed in the back. Small mod along the right side. I also used a few fender washer under the front motor mounts. This lowered the section behind the rear motor mounts. Within a few months of doing this I bought a 73 FST that would have been simple to add a four speed. Five speed is a 1/79+ only with a rear axle hand brake. Since I run only six cylinder engines all transmission top covers are from 40 series. I prefer the stock angle of the transmission shift cane. While I do not run aftermarket center consoles 60 series covers with a stock six could have clearance issues. Particularly a four speed in reverse.

John @4Cruisers did this with a split transfer case into a 71 I believe. It was actually slightly shorter than the one piece case. On my 68 with a H42 from a 76 the hand brake is tight against the torque tube but does clear. 9/72 the torque moved slightly back and shaped.to clear the hand brake. I use a 75/76 transmission cover trimmed in the back. Small mod along the right side. I also used a few fender washer under the front motor mounts. This lowered the section behind the rear motor mounts. Within a few months of doing this I bought a 73 FST that would have been simple to add a four speed. Five speed is a 1/79+ only with a rear axle hand brake. Since I run only six cylinder engines all transmission top covers are from 40 series. I prefer the stock angle of the transmission shift cane. While I do not run aftermarket center consoles 60 series covers with a stock six could have clearance issues. Particularly a four speed in reverse.
I have all the parts but still haven't really started my build. The later H41 is from an Australian '84 HJ47 - this very one: 1984 HJ47 Troopy Restoration Build - A Retrospective - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1984-hj47-troopy-restoration-build-a-retrospective.1217028/

It'll be mated to a Belgian '85 BJ45 transfer case with the rear drum parking brake. The combination will hang from the back of the 4-speed bellhousing that's already mounted to the '76 2F. The overall length of the transmission/transfer case (from the front face of the transmission to the rear face of the parking brake drum) is between 1/8 inch and 3/16 inch shorter than the early H42/one-piece transfer case that was previously installed. Just to be safe I ordered a replacement torque tube from Dave at 4Plus Products that welds into the frame further back.

I have a new plan, and I think it is the best solution. I have the support/mount bracket for the H55, I will fab a cross member for that and lower the rear the required 1 inch. Not even using the normal rear mounts on the bell housing. I like that it gives me a mounting point farther back, as well as a simple piece to build. It will have to bolt in for future service or driveline removal.

I agree would be tough to find. Back in the mid nineties installed a four speed in my 68 FJ40. Did not cut the torque tube behind the transfer case. That is a royal pain to change the clutch in. Adding a PTO complicates it even more. Since then I look at how serviceable a mod would be. I have a spare transmission and transfer case for my FJ62 that I have for twenty five years. It has the vacuum diagram on the transfer case. Been following about using these in a FJ40 and have decided against it.
You'll definitely want to support the H55f on a rear crossmember, however, it's not needed with a short (pre-4/86) H41or H42 4-speed.

You'll definitely want to support the H55f on a rear crossmember, however, it's not needed with a short (pre-4/86) H41or H42 4-speed.

Agree with the crossmeber under the transmission. For the 40 series there are three versions of L brackets and isolators. Two versions of actual crossmember itself.
IMG_20200621_122907847.jpg
IMG_20200611_104208524.jpg
IMG_20200611_104131606.jpg
IMG_20200611_104121127.jpg

Prior to 8/80 the BJ40 used a crosember that I believe mounted to the bellhousing since the transmission housing was the same for B, F and H engine during that time period.
4/85 is the date for the long H42 and 3F bellhousing. 3F bellhousing and long four speed started 11/84 in most markets. In most markets it was 11/84 this was the start of the 3F engine and the start of the FJ62. It was the 3F engine that made it a FJ62. 4/86 is the date the 38 MM idler gear in the transfer case and changes in the transmission happen in the US. Most other markets that was 10/85. It appears Toyota used up parts in the US for few months in to a model year while most markets the changes started with the model year. Wonder if it was because 2F had passed emissions requirements is why we never go a carbuarated 3F. Three model years seem like a long time to use old parts up.

Agree with the crossmeber under the transmission. For the 40 series there are three versions of L brackets and isolators. Two versions of actual crossmember itself.
View attachment 2758721View attachment 2758724View attachment 2758725View attachment 2758727
Prior to 8/80 the BJ40 used a crosember that I believe mounted to the bellhousing since the transmission housing was the same for B, F and H engine during that time period.
4/85 is the date for the long H42 and 3F bellhousing. 3F bellhousing and long four speed started 11/84 in most markets. In most markets it was 11/84 this was the start of the 3F engine and the start of the FJ62. It was the 3F engine that made it a FJ62. 4/86 is the date the 38 MM idler gear in the transfer case and changes in the transmission happen in the US. Most other markets that was 10/85. It appears Toyota used up parts in the US for few months in to a model year while most markets the changes started with the model year. Wonder if it was because 2F had passed emissions requirements is why we never go a carbuarated 3F. Three model years seem like a long time to use old parts up.

thats a nice pile of 40 crossmembers you have there.
what would you value a nice 8/80-up version, including mounting brackets at?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom