1976 FJ40 Metallic Noise from Transfer Case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Suddenly getting a metallic noise from the transfer case shifter. Check out the video below. I can even feel a corresponding vibration on the TC shifter when I hear it. Checked both the TC and transmission oil and I'm good. Thoughts?

Sounds like a bearing going out to me. You should look at the linkage and make sure its all in place and not out of adjustment because a bolt is loose or a bushing went bad.

You mean specifically on the transfer case? Anything specific to look for? I only get the noise when I'm travelling at higher speeds and I'm on the gas. No sound in neutral and coasting.

Well it could be in the tranny like a synchro or bearing going out. Good chance if you feel it in the transfer case shifter and not the transmission shifter then its the transfer case or maybe the u-joint in the drive line, perhaps in the differential itself.

You need to crawl under and examine/shake stuff to see if anything is loose/rattles. Take your grease gun with you and put it to work.

You mean specifically on the transfer case? Anything specific to look for? I only get the noise when I'm travelling at higher speeds and I'm on the gas. No sound in neutral and coasting.

How fast are you going in the video? Does it do it in 2wd too? With and without hubs locked? Did you check diff fluid levels?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom