Split-case O-ring question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was rebuilding my Splitcase in my automatic trans-equipped cruiser today. I was guided by some rebuild threads that had splitcases behind manual trans cruisers.

However, I found there was an oring left over in the box where my input gear and PTO gear were sitting. How crucial is this and what is the purpose if there's already a seal in the front half of the transfercase that seals the input gear? I don't want to tear back into the tcase if it's not going to make much difference. From the threads I was reading while rebuilding, manual trans cruisers don't have this?

It looks like it would have gone on right before the input gear?

oring.jpg

I haven’t built a case behind an auto but I think you’re gonna have a leak if you don’t install that. I might be wrong, but looking at the full exploded view of that image makes me think it’s needed.

I was rebuilding my Splitcase in my automatic trans-equipped cruiser today. I was guided by some rebuild threads that had splitcases behind manual trans cruisers.

However, I found there was an oring left over in the box where my input gear and PTO gear were sitting. How crucial is this and what is the purpose if there's already a seal in the front half of the transfercase that seals the input gear? I don't want to tear back into the tcase if it's not going to make much difference. From the threads I was reading while rebuilding, manual trans cruisers don't have this?

It looks like it would have gone on right before the input gear?

View attachment 2753275
Looks like you will have to go back in and put that in. Don't think you are the first. I had to take the back half off twice last month
when I forgot a couple of things, thrust bearing on idler and something else.

I’m thinking of why that ring is on the auto t case and not the manual... you really don’t want gear oil from the t case migrating into your auto trans and visa versa. That is a problem on the manual setups that can become a nightmare for us.

I would imagine it would be even worse for an auto setup... mixing fluids. Worst case for us is the transmission or t case run dry and the other runs overfull because we run the same oil in the case and trans. Correct me if I’m wrong but you have ATF in the trans and gear oil in the t case. Not good bedfellows.

That o-ring is there for the manuals as well.

Well I awoke super early and tore it all down and reassembled with the O-ring. lesson learned lol.
One would like to think, lesson learned - right up until we do it again......

Point of lesson, I had each section - output shaft assy, idler assy, lo/high shaft assy on a table. With each necessary
corresponding gear, seals etc and I still forgot the thrust bearing right at final assembly it just got lost out of my sight
line on the tray under the truck. It happens. Glad to see it all worked out. J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom