Builds spinning the roulette wheel (twice) on a 1996 Middle East HDJ81 at auction (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Exactly clean weld and some light rust proofing it will go unoticed
I do hope so. I've just spent a half hour looking for the regulations and I cannot find them. There was a cabinet decision in 2016 that went into force in 2017 on vehicle modifications, but the regulations themselves I can't seem to find. This happens here. Probably if I was able to read Arabic I'd have an easier time of it. Some of the government stuff does not seem to come out in English.

So here is a photo of the repair. Not super thrilled. Still have not made it to the inspection for title transfer. Maybe tonight.
1569761203527.png

And here is the truck getting a nice bath before title transfer inspection--they actually require a clean vehicle as part of the inspection. Not sure exactly why.
1569764311313.png

Last edited:
As is usual in this part of the world, things are not quite what they seem. I was told, repeatedly, that I must have the truck inspected in Sharjah, and at a particular inspection station. I decided that the smartest thing to do was to go with the flatbed driver in the hopes that I could drive the truck home. I also was told that the inspection station closed at 7 pm. Google said 9 pm. I decided to go with google because the auction house had been wrong in the past about these details, and give it a go. I drove up to Dubai Investment Park (DIP) and met the flatbed driver at the garage and we drove through horrible Sharjah-bound rush hour traffic, eventually arriving at the designated testing station at 8:15 pm. Here I am in the flatbed on the way to Sharjah.
1569790170050.png

I went inside while the driver unloaded. In about 5 minutes I was told that i DIDN'T need to have the truck tested in Sharjah because I was a resident of Dubai. All I needed was an intra-UAE transfer certificate which took 10 minutes and 40 USD. But by the time I got outside the truck had been unloaded. So I took the opportunity to drive the truck for the very first time around the parking lot to load up again. It drove. No issues. And we headed back to Dubia where they have testing stations open until midnight.

We unloaded a second time at a testing station in Dubai only to find that they did not handle diesel trucks. But before reloading the flatbed driver suggested I fill up on Diesel, which I did:
1569790478414.png

The flatbed driver knew where to go to a testing station that closed at midnight and we went there an unloaded a 3rd time. The place was absolutely heaving:
1569790624046.png

This photo was taken at 9:05 pm.

Fortunately, because my newest truck is an odd duck, we were able to use the light truck and bus line that was equipped for diesel.
1569790754371.png

When it was finally our turn the inspector spent a LONG time looking at the truck....
1569790857323.png

That is sweat, BTW.

The inspection lasted almost 40 minutes. And he kept looking at the door jams and the panhard rod attachment point that recently had been welded. I though for sure that he was going to fail the truck. But...
1569791110666.png

(Yes, they made a mistake on the displacement, and I asked the official if he could correct that but he said it did not matter.)

And it was downhill from there. Just some more time and a bit more in fees before I had a valid registration and new plates on the truck:
1569791242662.png

I then drove the truck home on the freeway at 60 plus MPH with no major issues over about an hour drive. My first impressions are that this truck will require a fair amount of work, but it is pretty solid. Kind of gutless at present and I don't think I was able to get the turbine to kick in on the way back. I later learned that my mechanics had dialed back the fuel to eliminate smoke for the inspection--which is not really that great a thing to do on a diesel. Will get that changed back and look into the turbo.

Bottom line, the truck is licensed and it made it home under its own power!
1569791529758.png

Just a little interim update.

Immediately after registering the car I took it to my mechanics in Dubai Investment Park that also are working on my troopy and the diesel pickup mentioned in the 70 series forums. I've not been able to drive the HZJ81 since then. As the guys got into it we confirmed that the turbo was non-functional and basically the engine bay was as dirty as I've seen here. Whenever I go to the garage I mention to the guys to clean, clean, clean--becuase I will likely be the next guy working on these when they are back in the US. And the guys do do it. I'm also having them change the timing belt, hoses and so on. Trying to do a basic baseline so I can drive it as a daily and perhaps send my LX470 back home. We will see...

Anyways, the turbo has now been rebuilt, but as they were cleaning they found an inordinate amount of carbon build up in the exhaust manifold:
1573929414037.png

1573929455075.png

Thats a lot, right?! I will be posting in the diesel thread about this.

The foreman says that the engine still does not develop a lot of power even after the turbo was rebuilt. He also says that it hunts around in the higher gears. Plainly there is still a bunch to do. I'm wondering if the exhaust system is all plugged up given what we found in the manifold.

Now that the turbo works does it make the right amount of boost ? Carbon is not uncommon in an older diesel exhaust without modern emissions

Now that the turbo works does it make the right amount of boost ? Carbon is not uncommon in an older diesel exhaust without modern emissions
Hi Whiskers, I don't know, honestly. One of the things I want to do is add an accurate digital boost gauge. I noticed the lack of power the little I drove it before it went back into the shop, but I thought it was due to the turbine. It may be more that.

Edit: The shop foreman also commented to me that the 81 had much less power than the normally aspirated 1HZ pickup of mine that they also are working on. I know the 81 is much heavier than the pickup but still it suggests to me that something really is wrong.

Last edited:
Here's another little update remotely from Virginia where I am for Thanksgiving: My mechanics sent a few photos after the interior has been cleaned.
WhatsApp Image 2019-11-27 at 07.29.24(1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-11-27 at 07.29.26.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-27 at 07.29.25.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-11-27 at 07.29.29.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-11-27 at 07.29.23(1).jpeg

It's really starting to shape up! And I'm looking forward to a first shakedown post diesel injector pump and turbo repair.

John, Happy Thanksgiving!

Did you get your boost gauge installed? Have you gotten the engine to "wake up"? The HDFT will zip along nicely when tuned.

Looks good so far.

Thanks all, for the kind words!

Re the driver's seat cushion I will either buy NOS or see if I can find a good one in the Sharjah salvage yards. Most of the 80s there are RHD so I think I can find a LH seat cushion in good shape.

I've been driving the truck quite a bit--and generally enjoying it, except for three things:

1. My back is KILLING me. It has a saggy front seat cushion and I'm shopping for an OEM replacement but honestly I've never liked the stock seats. I've occasionally seen 'professional' seats installed in Land Cruisers and I'd really like something like that. I saw a busted up ARB seat in a scrap 70 series pickup yesterday but it was very far gone. In the short term I think I will get the brackets to move the seat back and put in a new cushion, but it pains me to spend more money on a seat I really don't like. I'm no longer interested in keeping things stock. Any suggestions for better substitutions for the drivers seat in an 80?

2. It idles a little high; after it gets warm it seems to be at about 950 rpm. The idle adjustment per the FSM is already at the lower limit so some other linkage must be misadjusted--there seem to be a lot of those linkages for this manual pump. Gonna leave that for the mechanics. They can address that as they address the turbine issue.

3. The cruise control does not work and in the bad seating position my leg really starts to hurt after any distance of driving. Last weekend I found a replacement speed control motor (the thing that goes on the inside of the right fender) and yesterday I almost setped on a speed controller with the right date range, so I'm hopeful this can be put back into operation.

I've also decided to repaint the truck and get the minor body work sorted at the same time. I've got replacements for the damaged trim and 'new' folding mirrors; gradually getting everything I need to spruce up the old thing. Gonna let the guys rip on the painting while I am back in the US for the xmas holidays--as a present to myself!

Edit: I'm having a close read of this very useful mud posting: COMPILED - 80 Series Seat Swap Thread

Last edited:
I found my HDT was happiest idling at around 700-750 RPM.
Idle is easy to adjust, so is the throttle cable.

I recently put Audi S4 electric seats in my current 80.
Far more support than the stock seats

I just ordered a replacement lower seat cushion locally here in Dubai, a part 71512-60110 for under 100 USD. Looking forward to swapping that in and then seeing how it goes. I also may try to fabricate brackets for this manual seat to move it up and back a couple of inches. That would help a lot too.

Cushion and door latch valence came in yesterday courtesy of my Sharjah parts guy.
1576141742955.png

1576141752697.png

Got a good price too--less than 100 USD for the two items

Took some doing this weekend. I've taken car seats apart before and each time I do I learn something. This time was no exception.

Once disassembled, the condition of the old foam was, well, kinda gross:
1576337194392.png

I spent quite a while cleaning the seat rails to get the old grease out of them and get them to work better. Cleaning was a big part of every aspect of this job.

I got everything cleaned and ready to go, and discovered that the cushion that I was able to buy new from Toyota was shaped slightly differently than the original.
1576337375134.png

Initially I was not happy with the result and spent quite a bit of time trying to shape some foam from the old seat to fill in the differences. BTW, I spent about an hour looking for my hog ring pliers and I ended up using heavy zip ties. I don't thin I ever will try to use hog rings again. Zip ties are much more flexible and easier to boot. And there seems to be a consensus that hog rings don't really have much of an advantage over zip ties.

After a while I gave up trying to augment the new cushion--I don't have a hot knife and the results I was getting were ... not great:
1576337590877.png

I was also trying this to try to get more thigh support from the stock seat--which has no adjustment as this is a RHD-to-LHD truck and they did not change the seats. The adjustment knobs are in the passenger seat in this truck.

And after a while I gave up on trying to add to the foam and just went ahead and finished the job.
1576337719913.png

And it is much better than it was.
1576337766591.png

And more comfortable.

Ultimately, I think I will change out these seats for something more suited to me, but I might wait on that until I bring the truck to the US in a year or so. For now this is 'good enough'.

I'm sure you're familiar with Seat Brackets. May have been happy with WRX, BMW, or some old Recaro seats. I personally find Volvo seats to be super comfy and would seriously consider a C30 driver's seat--aesthetics aside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom