how to tighten spinning nutsert (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well most of my factory roof rack nutserts are relatively healthy except one.
The area around the nut is a bit swollen and the nutsert is spinning.
Anyone have any suggestions how to keep the nutsert from spinning? I have never dealt with these before. Can I tighten it up with a tool somehow? Just enough to be able to tighten the bolt. I do not want to get into roof repairs at the moment........
Thanks for suggestions.
Scott

image1.jpeg

Paint's knackered in that area anyway, clean the area with a dremel and a quick tack with a flux core welder will hold it till you can fix it right. Not sure that's the path I'd take, but it's an option.
With the rust around the hole the nut-sert may not pull up tight. If you blow through the roof, you could burn the rig down. Might want to pull the headliner just to be safe.

Doesn't look too crusty and the loctite idea seems like it may be your easiest option.

If you are concerned about corrosion I'd drill that nutsert, clean up the roof metal, coat it, etc. and install a new nutsert. The nutsert is a different metal than the roof's steel so you can get a little galvanic action when moisture is present and the two metals aren't well isolated.

When I fixed these on my 80 I drilled/coated/replaced the nutserts but I've since pulled the factory rack and removed all of the nutserts/etc.

Yesterday I fixed a nutsert on an AC unit and used a welder to drop a few tack welds around the rim of the nutsert. This worked great but I wouldn't use it on the 80 roof as the heat will damage paint and open you up to more corrosion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom