Spiders won't line up. Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i got my new axle deal in but can't get the pinion shaft in because the spider gears won't line up.

One fell out and I got it back in.

One side is off ground and turning that to try and align but no go.

Have about three hours to get this done today while weather holds.

image.jpg

Is it not lining up because one gear won't go in far enough to center over the hole in the diff case? Then pull the cross shaft out, rotate the internals (the side gears and spider gears) 90 degrees so that the spider gear can slip in/out of the window in the carrier. Center the spider gear between the side gears (minding the thrust washers) and rotate the whole thing back 90 degrees to line back up with the case holes.

I'm not sure what I did but I finally got it back in there. When the shaft could go through one of them, it wouldn't line up with the other spider hole, couldn't even tell if it would match up to the carrier. Pulled the spider back out, reoritntated stuff a few dozen times and finally they lined up.

I hope they don't have to go back meshing with the same teeth though because no way in heck is that happening. I believe I got them back across from each other the way they came out at least. Hope so, if that matters.

Now to double check that everything is right and my washers are in, and to warm up. Working on cold metal outside on a very cold day isn't good for the soul. Or anything else.

Thanks for the assist.

tooth orientation is no big deal (they rotate all the time)

Make sure the thrust washers are in there!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom