spent last night on the side of the road... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nuclearlemon

not an addict
Threads
well, until 11:30 when treeroot came to the rescue.

haven't driven the 60 in a while, so took it to work and figured i'd get some parts from a guy a few towns over right after work. halfway to his place, motor starts running hot. i thought i just had a slow leak and had't noticed it since i don't drive it anymore, so pulled over and was going to add some antifreeze from the two gallons that i'd just bought for the pig at work ). pop the hood and go to ease the cap off when i see a burst of steam come from behind the block (by firewall) and there's quite a bit of spatter there. start check ing hoses, as best as i could tell (they were damn hot), they all looked ok except for the one off the shutoff valve that runs towards the drivers side, which looked (and has for a while) like it's been burnt (it's kind of blistered looking). as i'm adding antifreeze, i'm getting steam from the rad as expected, but i get occasional bursts of steam from the back of the motor.

i put a gallon and ahalf of antifreeze in, along with what little water is left from my water bottle and head towards home. make it two miles and the needle is off the guage. now, story would be over if i had a cell phone and could call people, but all i had was my cb and apparently, no one monitors channel 9 any more, and i got one trucker to talk back to me, but when i asked if anyone could make a call for me, he replied "wait a minute" and after that, i couldn't get ahold of him anymore. so, put the last 1/2 of antifreeze in, wait for the engine to cool to the point where the needle is at the halfway point on the guage and try to make it as far as i can, just telling myself the motor's already damaged. i didin't even make it one mile before the needle is once again, off the guage. kill the motor, and coast down the highway at 55 mph, when i see a kid getting dropped on the side of the road with a gas can to fill his awaiting p.o.s. mustang. no cell phone, but he gave me a ride to the gas station where i started making calls.

so, could it be as simple as that burnt looking hose finally getting bad enough to have seeped a lot of antifreeze out of it's "pores"?

is there a freeze plug on teh back of the head that has a history of popping out?

any other suggestions?

does it really matter at this point? as it seems you had it plenty hot, a few times.
hot enough that pulling the head would probably be in order, even if it's just for s***s&giggles.

found the issue...catastrophic hose failure.

a little preventative maintenance would've cured this., but i never even knew that hose was there.

i'm convinced i've done major damage, treeroot isn't quite so sure...i'll fix the issue and fire it up and see what happens.

ooopss..forgot the pics

i shoved a hose in the radiator and it didn't take long to spot it.
DSC01317.JPG
DSC01318.JPG
DSC01319.JPG

swap the hose out and run it. see what happens. There is not reason to automatically believe that you have damaged your motor...

Ige,
So sorry to hear about your escapade. Brian's probable correct though. If your just wanting to find the leak before pulling things apart, I'd just fill it with water when it's cold, start it and watch where it's coming from. Get a inspection mirror in hand first, and shut it down before it gets to hot. If you need any help just give me a shout.

NocalFJ60 said:
That hose is a pain to change....
yes...yes it is. finally got it off...ripped in two when getting it.

off to the store to pick up hose (i don't have the right size) and antifreeze to replace what i wasted yesterday.

i'll put the new hose on and replace the sections that look blistered, fill with plain ol water and see what happens.

pulled the dipstick and it looked good, couldn't tell the smell since my nose sucks, i'll loosen the drain plug next and see what comes out, then fire it up and cross my fingers.

this is a horrible time, cause i' got friends from illinois riding the train out for the rally, and we need a wagon for them to cruise around in.:frown:

oddly, the last time steve was out to visit (fifteen years ago), we spent the whole trip rounding up a head, head set, getting the head decked, water pump, radiator, fan blade, etc, after my water pump grenaded and cracked the head on the nuclearlemon...i'm not going to let steve come visit after this.

damn....forgot the pics again.
DSC01320.JPG
DSC01321.JPG

Mace said:
swap the hose out and run it. see what happens. There is not reason to automatically believe that you have damaged your motor...

i'm with jason,
put it back together and run it.

the heads are cast, they run them in the deserts of africa and australia

put it together and check compresion

i bet ya it runs

AWSOME photos Nucmom!!!
Glad ya found it!

Chicago

hey ige, fyi
i blew a water pump belt coming out of boulder on 93 once, drove it till it heated up, let it cool, drove it,cooled it.
did this many times to get it back in arvada.

wife did the same thing again, but kept driving it to get to her moms at kipling and colfax. she was around treeroots area when it happened.
didnt care that it was running hot, just wanted to get to moms and leave it.

put a hose on and go! :D

For 3 years I had the occasional antifreeze smell after a hot run. I would have to add maybe a few ounces every 6 months or so, and thought is wasn't right but could never find the leak. When I installed my H55f I had a slight unexpected drip from the PASSENGER side but no source. When the tranny was out, I could trace the drip back to the driver side and had a leak from this same hose as Ige. To replace it, remove that big bracket she shows so well in the pics. I used grean stripe, and in the year since then have not added a drop of coolant.

Moral-that hose is invisable. It is a pain to replace. Yours is probably original. It isn't 5/8 like the rest, it's 1/2. So go replace yours now. It's going to cause you problems. A short length of 1/2 hose will do it, and if you use green stripe, you'll never have to do it again.

Hey Ige,
I'm not real clear on exactly where that hose is from your pics and description. Any chance you can elaborate and maybe add another pic that's not taken from such a close vantage point?

Thanks,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

left rear side of the block...there's a "t" that screws into the head. this hose goes back to a pipe on the firewall that runs down between that heat shield...and it SUCKS to get off.

got new hoses on, fired it up and started filling it with tap water (not wasting any more antifreeze just in case). ran it for 30-40 minutes and it runs higher than i like but it's been running that hot since the rad flush.

it ran an easy 15 minutes at that temp with no white smoke and no increase in temp. motor also fired up like normal, so no water in the cylinders...i think i might be good. i'll drive it to work all next week (only a few miles away, so if it overheats, i'm close to home), and cross my fingers.

nuclearlemon said:
left rear side of the block...there's a "t" that screws into the head. this hose goes back to a pipe on the firewall that runs down between that heat shield...and it SUCKS to get off.

got new hoses on, fired it up and started filling it with tap water (not wasting any more antifreeze just in case). ran it for 30-40 minutes and it runs higher than i like but it's been running that hot since the rad flush.

it ran an easy 15 minutes at that temp with no white smoke and no increase in temp. motor also fired up like normal, so no water in the cylinders...i think i might be good. i'll drive it to work all next week (only a few miles away, so if it overheats, i'm close to home), and cross my fingers.

ige, it's prolly runnin a little hotter cause of no anti-freeze.

how hot is it gettin??

nuclearlemon said:
ooopss..forgot the pics

i shoved a hose in the radiator and it didn't take long to spot it.
that hose is A BITCH to change. but not after i got smart enough to get a REALLY long screwdriver to go at it from way out on that bottom clamp.
i had mine slip off on a hill climb once cuz my motor mount was bad and torqued enough to unseat it. i was alone and freaked. at least it just slipped for me and i could put it back on:doh: after many long walks to the river i was full again and ready to go

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom