Speed Sensor Wire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know which wire on this connector is for the speed sensor on a 1997? The EWD says that Bd1 has the cowl wire and speed sensor No.1 wire in the left kick panel. I need to tap into the speed sensor wire for a stereo install. Thanks!

1609966557289.png

1609966580975.png

If you go to the ABS wiring diagram of your EWD manual, (in my 1994 manual it's on page 112) it'll show you the color code for the feed, and return wires for both the right front, and left front ABS speed sensors. Knowing the color codes for those wires should answer you're question as to which wire is the speed sensor wire in connector BD1.

I would never, ever attempt to tap into the ABS system for speed input into a stereo. There are good reasons why the ABS wiring is connected with shielded wires.

There are other speed sensors located in the transfer case that drive the speedometer and ECM which would be much safer alternatives.

I'm not going to. I had the same thought after reading that it was part of the ABS system. I'm new to this so I appreciate you validating it was not a smart move.

Aeneiad You know I'll be the first to admit that I'm an old man, and don't stay, or even care about new trends in stereo equipment, But please answer me this question, why would you need to tap into a speed sensor to hook up your trucks stereo system?​

Most likely for some sort of volume control related to vehicle speed. Newer cars have a feature that as you slow down, say exiting the freeway, it will automatically reduce the stereo volume. One of the first things I turn off :)
Seeing as the newest car i own is 20 years old, i can't say as I've had the pleasure of experiencing this new automatic volume control you speak of. I just do it the old fashion way when getting off the freeway. I just reach over and turn the volume knob down, that is unless I'm listening to a rockin AC/DC tune. In that case, i roll down my windows and share it will everyone stopped at the intersection.

There are aftermarket systems that allow playback of DVD, other video signals etc. only when the vehicle is not in motion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom