Spare tire swing arm/ mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I am a new proud owner of a 94 land cruiser and very eager to get the spare tire out from under for higher clearance.

Any suggestions on cheap spare tire swing arms? I currently have a stock rear bumper.

Thanks

I've never used one, so YMMV. Your definition of cheap is relative. If you want to keep the stock bumper and use a stock hitch mounted unit, there's Wilco Hitchgate™ Solo and RIGd RIGd Supply.

You may be able to have something fabbed up, but would likely be more expensive.

For the cost of those you could buy a complete bumper from Northwest Trail Innovations. Would have to be able to weld it yourself or pay someone to do it though. A stout rear bumper is a must of you wheel these trucks, particularly without a lift, as the long rear overhang causes the back to drag a lot. You may also find you want to ditch the tow hitch as it hangs pretty low too.

Cheap would be receiver hitch tire carrier unit, but that won’t help with clearance as you need a hitch. Bumpers with swing, maybe $2000-ish all in, unless you have fabrication tools already.

no good way around it, mount the tire inside 3rd roll after removal is your best bet for cheap solution.
I have a ultra high clearance bumper and custom tow point integrated into it, but not necessarily cheap by any means.
SAlSW1G.jpg

I have a rear bumper with no swings, and did not want to chop it up to add swings right now. So I made a pretty simple holder that bolts to floor. I’m able to pack a lot of stuff around and behind it, it’s not bad at all to have inside. It’s 5 bolts to take it out, if I need space.

0B08BCFC-35B9-4B78-BDBB-D9B77B3EACFF.jpeg
E92A382A-6BA8-4248-BDEA-58BFD8A615CD.jpeg

I removed the stock bumper and bought the tire carrier below. The fabrication work leaves a lot to be desired. Certainly a bunch of stuff I would change if I had to do it again.

1. Thicker plate - I used 1/4”, would probably use 1/2”
2. Plate is welded to the very edge of the cross member (you can see this a little in the third picture). I should have moved it over on top of the cross member.
3. In the third picture you can see the tire carrier mounting plate does not sit flush with the plate I welded on. Addressing the two items above would help this.

Even with the flaws above, it is very stable and serves its purpose.

Amazon product ASIN B003EOZLQC
63E448B2-00BE-4261-A6B1-23E53FCBB50B.jpeg
65871B58-72B1-41C2-9716-870CE92ACC07.jpeg
6D4F8432-65AA-48F2-917C-B894B2C54DEB.jpeg
5D2AEFC9-4CE2-40F3-BB74-F2A75443D6D5.jpeg

FullCircle, If you can find all the bits and pieces, you could go with the factory tire carrier that's installed on trucks overseas. Below you'll find a link that'll answer most of you're questions about what it takes to install the factory tire carrier.

Another option if you have the skills, tools, and time, you could fab you're own tire carrier, that's what i did.

One thing i will tell you about an external tire carrier that I've begun to dislike, i hate having to open, and close the tire carrier each, and every time i want to open my tailgate.

I especially dislike it when someone parks to close to me in those narrow angled parking spaces like at the grocery store. In some cases I'm not even able to swing my carrier open far enough to be able open my tail gate so i can load my grocery's.:mad:

I removed the stock bumper and bought the tire carrier below. The fabrication work leaves a lot to be desired. Certainly a bunch of stuff I would change if I had to do it again.

2. Plate is welded to the very edge of the cross member (you can see this a little in the third picture). I should have moved it over on top of the cross member.
3. In the third picture you can see the tire carrier mounting plate does not sit flush with the plate I welded on. Addressing the two items above would help this.

View attachment 2494374View attachment 2494375View attachment 2494376View attachment 2494377

View attachment 2494374View attachment 2494375View attachment 2494376View attachment 2494377
Right on, I think I’ll try this out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom