Spare tire removal without tool (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey y'all

I got some 33's and realized I don't have a use for the extra spare tire weight. Wondering if you guys had any tips/tricks on how to remove the spare tire. The previous owner didn't include the hook and tried using some heavy duty clamps, but it's tough. Maybe I just need some a bigger clamp with a longer handle?

Put a trolley jack under the wheel to take the weight then undo the 12mm bolts on both ends of the cross member that holds up the spare. 10 mins and job done. Just don't drop the wheel on your head.

Put a trolley jack under the wheel to take the weight then undo the 12mm bolts on both ends of the cross member that holds up the spare. 10 mins and job done. Just don't drop the wheel on your head.

Will try that. Thanks!

Hey y'all

I got some 33's and realized I don't have a use for the extra spare tire weight. Wondering if you guys had any tips/tricks on how to remove the spare tire. The previous owner didn't include the hook and tried using some heavy duty clamps, but it's tough. Maybe I just need some a bigger clamp with a longer handle?
Borrow a jack kit from someone with a Tacoma or stop at a dealership to ask them to let it down. Tacoma tools are nearly the same, at least ones from a 2006 are.....

My tool kit was missing so I bought a complete jack and tool kit from a salvage yard. The Tacoma jack goes taller than the factory jack.

Buy a brand spanking new one on partsouq:

09114-60070 - [2x] EXTENSION SUB-ASSY, JACK HANDLE ($6.43 - Partsouq)
09115-60040 - ROD SUB-ASSY, JACK HANDLE ($7.28 - Partsouq)
09116-60010 - LEVER, JACK HANDLE ($8.62 - Partsouq)

Total of $28.76 for a brand new one, and yes, these are the exact part numbers for the ones these 80s shipped with. This is actually on my list of things to buy next order I put into them, because mine aren't pretty anymore and I'm a bit OCD. :)

EDIT: Just re-read, and it sounds like you want to permanently "delete" the under-body spare tyre, is that right? In that case the new tool might be overkill!

Buy a brand spanking new one on partsouq:

09114-60070 - [2x] EXTENSION SUB-ASSY, JACK HANDLE ($6.43 - Partsouq)
09115-60040 - ROD SUB-ASSY, JACK HANDLE ($7.28 - Partsouq)
09116-60010 - LEVER, JACK HANDLE ($8.62 - Partsouq)

Total of $28.76 for a brand new one, and yes, these are the exact part numbers for the ones these 80s shipped with. This is actually on my list of things to buy next order I put into them, because mine aren't pretty anymore and I'm a bit OCD. :)

EDIT: Just re-read, and it sounds like you want to permanently "delete" the under-body spare tyre, is that right? In that case the new tool might be overkill!

Correct! Figured I'd just delete it until I grab another 33" spare tire. Since they're different sizes I don't have any use

Borrow a jack kit from someone with a Tacoma or stop at a dealership to ask them to let it down. Tacoma tools are nearly the same, at least ones from a 2006 are.....

My tool kit was missing so I bought a complete jack and tool kit from a salvage yard. The Tacoma jack goes taller than the factory jack.

This is great advice. It never actually crossed my mind to go to a local dealer. Thanks @BILT4ME !

It really is a good Idea to drop the Spare Carrier Out and Fluid Film under all of it or you may not be able to someday. Grease sure won't hurt.

Update: Will be spending the money to buy a spare tire tool because local Toyota dealer was going to charge labor ($175/hr) for removing the spare. :bang: Cheaper to buy the toolkit. Thanks everybody for your input.

Update: Will be spending the money to buy a spare tire tool because local Toyota dealer was going to charge labor ($175/hr) for removing the spare. :bang: Cheaper to buy the toolkit. Thanks everybody for your input.
Wow. I would expect them to do that for nothing.

:bang:

Wow. I would expect them to do that for nothing.

:bang:

Me too, I was very, very bummed. They mentioned since it "might" have rust it could take them a few hours. I told them it's rust free and they said they wouldn't be able to promise to get it out. Whatabunchashmucks

It really is a good Idea to drop the Spare Carrier Out and Fluid Film under all of it or you may not be able to someday. Grease sure won't hurt.
x2! That thing is a rust magnet!

Boo Hiss! They should be relegated to selling Subarus.

You don't need the 'hook' on the factory let down tool in order to operate the winch. ANY 'T' shaped tool/object that will fit across the slot will work....as long as you can turn it.

The 'hook' is actually meant to operate the factory jack, but also happens to work on the let down winch...so they go with that.

You don't need the 'hook' on the factory let down tool in order to operate the winch. ANY 'T' shaped tool/object that will fit across the slot will work....as long as you can turn it.

The 'hook' is actually meant to operate the factory jack, but also happens to work on the let down winch...so they go with that.

The problem I ran into was trying to fit something in the small bumper hole. I tried coming from below, but the factory towing hitch makes it impossible.

The problem I ran into was trying to fit something in the small bumper hole. I tried coming from below, but the factory towing hitch makes it impossible.
If it is at all like the 60 series Spare tire set up a big crow bar/ tire iron with one end flat, the other curved may work (flat end going into the winch mechanism where the hook would fit). Did this for years on my rig.

I want to say it is 4 12mm bolts on each side. That should take a half competent mechanic all of about 8 mins. Throw in 2 mins so he can roll from one side to the other. $30 and he is done. Crazy they would even contemplate charging for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom