Spare tire in rotation.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Do any of you guys include your spare tire in your rotations? Just thought of it now after ordering 5 new tires.
Thx

Yep

Edit: easy if you DIY, but something you'll want to pay closer attention to if the local tire shop does it...like, make sure they don't lose your spare tire tools.

Last edited:
Not currently but may do this on my next set.

Do any of you guys include your spare tire in your rotations? Just thought of it now after ordering 5 new tires.
Thx
Yep sure do, it's on my bumper though so it's pretty easy.

We drive FT 4WD trucks so tire wear is much different than non 4WD/AWD vehicles. Therefore, yes, I rotate a 5th into the system. This allows for more even tire wear across the 5 wheels and since I run spacers, a chance to check torque as I rotate (and check general axle/brake/cv conditions). Having a 5th tire makes rotation a much easier DIY job altogether anyway. And finally, I really don't trust mechanics do to a proper job 100% of the time. And with precious cargo riding in a 6k LB mass, I sleep much better with that decision.

I recently retired after 25 years from a "know how" automotive company and our studies showed that the efficiency was closer to >30% when tested between a 4 and 5 tire rotation; it wasn't simple math. This was specific to AWD vehicles but I think that's comparable to the 100s 4WD.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom