Spare tire going back underneath :( (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That should work, just with any bike rack, the higher up it goes relative to the swing outs, the more likely it is to interfere. I chopped out the crossmember and built a beefier one to get the hitch up another 4-6” or so. I built a rear bumper for my 1st gen and brought the hitch up so much that I had to shorten the limits on the tailgate so it wouldn’t fold down into it. Just something to consider
I’ll have to look into that rack if I can’t get the 1up to work the way I want. I can’t bring myself to put the spare back underneath. The 305 fits under there a lot differently than the factory spare and it would look pretty goofy. I think I’m going to switch to a 2” hitch dropper from the 4”. I’ll probably have to trim the tab that sticks down from the swing arm to clear it but at least I’ll get a couple inches of clearance back.

Ohhh, 4 bikes.... I missed that little tidbit. I don't think I'd mount 4 bikes on that either. Too much leverage and weight... unless you relocated the spare and Hi-lift and brought the 4 bikes in closer to the body.

especially when it's 4 bikes totally around $20k..... my solution... the 100 isn't for moving bikes.

Yeah, I get that but it’s not exactly bolted down on the strike side either. Shortly after I got my bumper I had to find the sweet spot in adjusting the U-bolt, tight enough so the carrier wouldn’t rattle while driving over every minor bump, but not so tight that the U-bolt didn’t shear off the bolts holding the catch on. At least for me it was a very thin margin. Ask me how I know. I never was able to extract that bolt and had to get a newer longer bolt catch welded so I could drill a new hole.

I’m not trashing the BIOR as it has been great to me overall. I do however think the steel that the spindle is welded into is more of a weak point than the spindle itself. Comparing to a buddy with a Slee, I believe the Slee’s steel is slightly thicker and that’s probably why it seems to flex less. Just my non-expert opinion. Anyone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong on that.
What did you end up doing for your bike rack solution?

I'm in the same boat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom