Spare tire going back underneath :( (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. Multi-prong post here.

After almost losing my shiny new carbon mountain bike on the highway last month I decided it was time to ditch the yakima spare tire bike carrier I had mounted on my BIOR swing out, in favor of a 1up hitch carrier. That came with its own set of issues. Aside from further pissing the wife off by adding yet another step to getting into the back hatch, I also had to use a 4” hitch dropper to make the carrier clear the swing arm, making my departure angle complete crap and negating any benefit of having a high clearance bumper on the back. Some of the places I like to bike definitely require a higher clearance rear to get to. My plan is to take both swing outs off and out the spare back underneath and hopefully mount the farm jack to the roof rack.

1) Does anyone have an OEM spare tire mount they’ve taken off still sitting on the shelf they’re willing to part with? I’m running 305/70/16 KO2s and am assuming they’ll fit underneath since there’s no factory hitch. I’m happy to pay shipping plus whatever it’s worth to you.

2) Depending on how I like the setup I may be willing to part with both the tire carrier and the ladder for pretty cheap, assuming I don’t have to go through the ass ache of shipping it.

3) Is anyone successfully running their farm Jack on the side of a Gamiviti rack. I’m worried about clearing the tent on either side. Tent is an iKamper.

This might be better off in the classifieds, but I was hoping to get some 100-specific advice from you guys first.

D0458DF5-73EB-4043-8BAC-57321338FC84.jpeg

Last edited:

After almost losing my shiny new carbon mountain bike on the highway last month I decided it was time to ditch the yakima spare tire bike carrier I had mounted on my BIOR swing out, in favor of a 1up hitch carrier. That came with its own set of issues. Aside from further pissing the wife off by adding yet another step to getting into the back hatch, I also had to use a 4” hitch dropper to make the carrier clear the swing arm, making my departure angle complete crap and negating any benefit of having a high clearance bumper on the back. Some of the places I like to bike definitely require a higher clearance rear to get to. My plan is to take both swing outs off and out the spare back underneath and hopefully mount the farm jack to the roof rack.

1) Does anyone have an OEM spare tire mount they’ve taken off still sitting on the shelf they’re willing to part with? I’m running 305/70/16 KO2s and am assuming they’ll fit underneath since there’s no factory hitch. I’m happy to pay shipping plus whatever it’s worth to you.

2) Depending on how I like the setup I may be willing to part with both the tire carrier and the ladder for pretty cheap, assuming I don’t have to go through the ass ache of shipping it.

3) Is anyone successfully running their farm Jack on the side of a Gamiviti rack. I’m worried about clearing the tent on either side. Tent is an iKamper.

This might be better off in the classifieds, but I was hoping to get some 100-specific advice from you guys first.

View attachment 2692378
You could build a bike rack into the second swing out.........ditch the useless ladder and put the maxi trax on the roof.

View attachment 2692378

I have one of these on my dissent tire carrier. Should easily carry a bike.

IMG_20210425_171131414.jpg

You could build a bike rack into the second swing out.........ditch the useless ladder and put the maxi trax on the roof.
Well just dropped $750 on the 1up so I’m not really quick to ditch it. It truly is the best rack on the market as far as I could find. I looked at Mike at BIORs options for mounting 2 vertically on the would-be ladder carrier, but 1up (and pretty much all other roof carriers, which could be used for the purpose) don’t recommend vertical carry. I want to be able to carry 4 bikes when I need to, so the ladder carrier option is out for that.

Can’t put anything on the roof as the tent is occupying all of that real estate.

Well just dropped $750 on the 1up so I’m not really quick to ditch it. It truly is the best rack on the market as far as I could find. I looked at Mike at BIORs options for mounting 2 vertically on the would-be ladder carrier, but 1up (and pretty much all other roof carriers, which could be used for the purpose) don’t recommend vertical carry. I want to be able to carry 4 bikes when I need to, so the ladder carrier option is out for that.

Can’t put anything on the roof as the tent is occupying all of that real estate.
@SUMMIT CRUISERS Jr maybe you can help OP by showing your setup on your 80?

That’s a cool idea. My first thought is of the stress on the spindle. I see that they address that in the referenced thread, but I still have reservations about putting the tire, the hi-lift, the rack and up to four bikes on the one spindle. I can’t speak for the slee, but my BIOR rattles at the cam lever if it isn’t torqued pretty hard, with just one bike. I used to have to run a strap from the bike to the roof rack, but that made getting into the back quickly a PITA. That definitely is the most attractive and convenient looking option though. Need to make a friend with a welder....

That’s a cool idea. My first thought is of the stress on the spindle. I see that they address that in the referenced thread, but I still have reservations about putting the tire, the hi-lift, the rack and up to four bikes on the one spindle. I can’t speak for the slee, but my BIOR rattles at the cam lever if it isn’t torqued pretty hard, with just one bike. I used to have to run a strap from the bike to the roof rack, but that made getting into the back quickly a PITA. That definitely is the most attractive and convenient looking option though. Need to make a friend with a welder....
Its not floating on the spindle when its latched shut. If there is a strike plate or anything that the arm sits on you are fine. These spindles are alot stronger than you might expect!

Its not floating on the spindle when its latched shut. If there is a strike plate or anything that the arm sits on you are fine. These spindles are alot stronger than you might expect!
Yeah, I get that but it’s not exactly bolted down on the strike side either. Shortly after I got my bumper I had to find the sweet spot in adjusting the U-bolt, tight enough so the carrier wouldn’t rattle while driving over every minor bump, but not so tight that the U-bolt didn’t shear off the bolts holding the catch on. At least for me it was a very thin margin. Ask me how I know. I never was able to extract that bolt and had to get a newer longer bolt catch welded so I could drill a new hole.

I’m not trashing the BIOR as it has been great to me overall. I do however think the steel that the spindle is welded into is more of a weak point than the spindle itself. Comparing to a buddy with a Slee, I believe the Slee’s steel is slightly thicker and that’s probably why it seems to flex less. Just my non-expert opinion. Anyone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong on that.

Ohhh, 4 bikes.... I missed that little tidbit. I don't think I'd mount 4 bikes on that either. Too much leverage and weight... unless you relocated the spare and Hi-lift and brought the 4 bikes in closer to the body.

I just posted this in another thread, but here is my solution as pictured above. It's now powdercoated to match the bumper. I drove it around a little today and it's rock solid with just one bike. I bet the swingout and hitch receiver could handle a 1up and 4 bikes, but that's a lot of weight on a long arm, so I would definitely add a couple ratchet straps up to the roof rack if I did that. I would have no hesitation doing some light wheeling with this setup and 2 bikes. Plus, you can't beat the approach angle/clearance.

IMG_4209.JPG

The iSi bike racks are super burly and durable, have great departure angles and can work with rear tyre cariers.
I often use my cruiser as a bike shuttle with it over some seriously rowdy 4wd tracks to reach some of the trails we ride :)

As @atnolan94 mentioned, I’ve got my 80 set up pretty well to haul bikes.

I agree mounting to swing outs and spindles is still somewhat sketch. I use the beefiest single shear spindles I’ve been able to find on my swing outs but they’re single still shear. With this set up, I do get some bounce and wiggle - some of which can be attributed to the Yakima high roller trays. It hasn’t been terrible, and I’m not hauling clunkers or ebikes, but I do worry about it fatiguing everything to a point where the spindle wants to fail.
56C07FD1-04E1-458E-BAAF-92CE30C8B65C.jpeg

Otherwise, the Northshore nsr4 is the bombproof go to bike hauler that’s put up with over 70k miles and only needing one fresh paracord wheel strap made. I replaced the entire rear crossmember, relocated the hitch into it, and tied it into the frame rails further up. This let me set it up so bikes go up and over the swing outs and everything fits super tight
0508FFC1-14E2-4D51-8ABB-D71E143704EB.png

As @atnolan94 mentioned, I’ve got my 80 set up pretty well to haul bikes.

I agree mounting to swing outs and spindles is still somewhat sketch. I use the beefiest single shear spindles I’ve been able to find on my swing outs but they’re single still shear. With this set up, I do get some bounce and wiggle - some of which can be attributed to the Yakima high roller trays. It hasn’t been terrible, and I’m not hauling clunkers or ebikes, but I do worry about it fatiguing everything to a point where the spindle wants to fail.
View attachment 2693624

Otherwise, the Northshore nsr4 is the bombproof go to bike hauler that’s put up with over 70k miles and only needing one fresh paracord wheel strap made. I replaced the entire rear crossmember, relocated the hitch into it, and tied it into the frame rails further up. This let me set it up so bikes go up and over the swing outs and everything fits super tight
View attachment 2693631
That second one looks like the ticket. Wish I had the skills/tools/means to do that myself. Any chance you have any other pictures of how it’s set up? I’m having a hard time imagining how the swing outs get around your bike. I’d really like to carry 4 bikes on my BIOR without losing my swing outs, but I don’t think that’s going to happen. Thanks for sharing.

That second one looks like the ticket. Wish I had the skills/tools/means to do that myself. Any chance you have any other pictures of how it’s set up? I’m having a hard time imagining how the swing outs get around your bike. I’d really like to carry 4 bikes on my BIOR without losing my swing outs, but I don’t think that’s going to happen. Thanks for sharing.

I just have to fold down the rack. Not too bad unless you have 4 bikes on since it’s kind of awkward to reach between the bikes to lift it back up solo. Also worth noting, the width of the 6 bike might be too wide to allow the swing outs to clear unless you position the rack further back. The 4 bike clears mine and has the best departure for a 4 bike rack while also leaving decent access to the back of the vehicle/tailgate

8A04D7A1-B802-4949-A5D9-716FAE16C25C.jpeg

A517FF97-9246-4DFA-81CA-2C05BF32C8F9.jpeg

Last edited:
I just have to fold down the rack. Not too bad unless you have 4 bikes on since it’s kind of awkward to reach between the bikes to lift it back up solo. Also worth noting, the width of the 6 bike might be too wide to allow the swing outs to clear unless you position the rack further back. The 4 bike clears mine and has the best departure for a 4 bike rack while also leaving decent access to the back of the vehicle/tailgate

View attachment 2693684

View attachment 2693685
Thanks for the pictures. So you’re saying to run that you had to replace the crossmember? I put my BIOR on in 2012 and I’m having a hard time remembering what I did. I think I had to notch the cross member. Any reason I wouldn’t I be able to put that same carrier you’re running in the BIORs hitch?

Thanks for the pictures. So you’re saying to run that you had to replace the crossmember? I put my BIOR on in 2012 and I’m having a hard time remembering what I did. I think I had to notch the cross member. Any reason I wouldn’t I be able to put that same carrier you’re running in the BIORs hitch?

That should work, just with any bike rack, the higher up it goes relative to the swing outs, the more likely it is to interfere. I chopped out the crossmember and built a beefier one to get the hitch up another 4-6” or so. I built a rear bumper for my 1st gen and brought the hitch up so much that I had to shorten the limits on the tailgate so it wouldn’t fold down into it. Just something to consider

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom