Spare Tire Assistance needed (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My tire carrier rattles like... well, a rattle.
I bought new bushings for it and I can't get the blasted hinge pins out to replace the old. Using a steel punch and a hammer and they don't budge. They don't appear to be welded. Are they just rusted in there real tight? Anyone have any suggestions on getting those pins out? There's gotta be a way!

I'm not familiar with '40's but I'd try a vise using a socket as a spacer and press them out or better yet an actual press if you have one. I've used the truck itself along with a jack as a press at times! It works well with a little ingenuity!

Propane torch. PB Blaster. Butane torch. PB Blaster. Soak in PB blaster a few days. Torch. BFH.

I assume you took the crown nuts off, first? Maybe I'd better ask what year you have. I think some weren't meant to come apart.

I gave up on removing them myself, and took the carrier to a local machine shop. $10 got them removed, for so little cash, don't bother wasting your time.

IDave,
I have a 79. There don't appear to be any nuts on it. My cruiser is in the shop getting my new quarter panels put on so I have the carrier on the floor. Trying to slam the pins out with a hammer and punch isn't working. I doused them in WD. Maybe I need to try something else. What is PB? I don't have a torch and don't have access to one. Maybe I should take it somewhere?

Any Auto parts store or a decent hardware store should have PB Blaster (souped up WD 40) and a propane canister torch for not too much. Good things to have around a Cruiser, anyway.

Mark Whatley on the TLCA list has a recipe for some incredibly effective penetrating lube. I'll have to see if I can dig it up for you. That coupled with a "torch wrench" seems to work well on just about anything I've run up against so far...heat is neat! :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom