South/Central American vs. Noth American (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalCruzr
I misread your post and assumed it was a BJ42 diesel. Why import an FJ40 from Indonesia when you can get a N. American model (though pricey)? It has to be perfect and cheap to do this. Also, I don't know about Ind. but in Latin America the 40 series didn't have the updates like they did in N. America--e.g., I saw a 1984 BJ40 with the B engine, drum brakes, no roll bar, old interior etc.

Can someone elaborate on the "updates" available on BJ models. Were disk brakes, power steering, roll bars, A/C not an option and what is the difference b/w old and new interior? Also, how do these updates apply to the years 1975-80?

i can only speak for canadian spec BJ40
diesel came out in 77
disc front were in all the BJ40 in canada
H42 tranny was the only option in canada
4.11 gears were the only option in canada
hard top was only option here as well
manual steering was the only option.

basicly you walked into the dealership and got your choice of colour (if they had more than one)

so far from Japan i have seen:
drums all around
H41 tranny
4.11 gears
manual steering
soft top or hard top
40 or 43 or 44 series
big ass starters
fender mount mirrors or door mount

that is all i know for sure.
sorry i can not help out more.
cheers

I did see a gaser 40 in Canada years ago, was either a 1982 or 1984 with factory power steering and A/C. I will assume it was an US truck.

yes the gassers in 1980 (last year we in Canada got the gasser) they did have the PS option although i have never seen one with AC, i did hear it was an option though...
in 1983 the BJ42 got the PS and the H55F and option of AC
in 1981 the engine size went from B to 3B
in Japan only they had an option of the 2B

cheers

The BJ40's in Central America are pretty basic trucks, drums all around no dash pads. Think as bare bones as possible but with an H41 IF it's a 4 speed. I've seen an '80 with the old 3 speed!!

Cruiser...do you see many 70's LC trucks down there? A buddy of mine has a 78' w/ a diesel engine(not sure of the exact model #) in Costa Rica and I think his had power steering and AC installed, but again, i'm not certain. I assume it has drums. Is it difficult to install these items if not alrready present? Also, have you ever heard of LC's refered to as a "Bandeirante"?

Lots of '70 series. Troopies for ambulances, pickups as farm vehicles as well as the short wheel base version. The drum to disc swap is pretty easy although I'd assume that the '70 series are new enough that Toyota didn't mess with drums on those. I installed A/C on my BJ60 (Canadian truck since I'm from Canada) using FJ60 stuff other than the compressor mount and A/C amplifier and it wasn't a big deal. We don't have the Bandeirante here, at least not that I've seen.

i had heard that diesel was pretty rare down in SA, and that gassers were the vehicle of choice amongst the farmers and trademen...
no?

Sorry for the confusion...I meant 1970's LC not 70's series. Do you see many of them? I'm will be going to see one owned by a friend of a friend in Costa Rica. It'is a truck and the bed was converted with fittings for collecting coffee beans at a coffee plantation. Don't have pic's yet, but I would like to put the above mentioned modifications on it.

crushers said:
i had heard that diesel was pretty rare down in SA, and that gassers were the vehicle of choice amongst the farmers and trademen...
no?

Wayne, that's in Venezuela which is an OPEC nation. In countries who need to buy their fuel on the open market diesel is prevalent (like here in Central America). We get diesel 'Cruisers, 4Runners we even see diesel S10's, Blazers and Ford Rangers with the 2.8 Powerstroke.

diesel4x4 said:
Sorry for the confusion...I meant 1970's LC not 70's series. Do you see many of them? I'm will be going to see one owned by a friend of a friend in Costa Rica. It'is a truck and the bed was converted with fittings for collecting coffee beans at a coffee plantation. Don't have pic's yet, but I would like to put the above mentioned modifications on it.

I'd check out the frame carefully, friends of mine here tell me that the 'Cruiser pickups here usually die of a busted frame due to severe overloading. I also would not plan on driving it back from Costa Rica unless you KNOW it was properly maintained. Here in Central America they beat the crap out of the trucks and bandaid them together to keep things going!

cruiser_guy said:
Wayne, that's in Venezuela which is an OPEC nation. In countries who need to buy their fuel on the open market diesel is prevalent (like here in Central America). We get diesel 'Cruisers, 4Runners we even see diesel S10's, Blazers and Ford Rangers with the 2.8 Powerstroke.
i sit informed, thank you... must be nice to see vehicles we never knew existed...
cheers

crushers said:
i sit informed, thank you... must be nice to see vehicles we never knew existed...
cheers

It's different! Bet you never knew that there were turbo-diesel S10's or Blazers? I've heard of the Ford 2.8 Powerstroke before seeing it but I can't remember if that was at home this summer or down here.
We also see lots of Asian vehicles like Wuling, Chana and other weird brands (they are so small you don't even need to lean over to open the passenger window!) as well as European ones like Renault and Fiat which we don't see much at home.

cruiser_guy said:
I'd check out the frame carefully, friends of mine here tell me that the 'Cruiser pickups here usually die of a busted frame due to severe overloading. I also would not plan on driving it back from Costa Rica unless you KNOW it was properly maintained. Here in Central America they beat the crap out of the trucks and bandaid them together to keep things going!

The truck appeared to be in great shape. Body, paint and interior in good condition. The owner has given it alot of love, however, i did not get under it to look at the frame. I'm not sure what to look for under a rig. Any suggestions?

I think that Damm Mercan EPA screws with canadian imports........

Im pretty sure this BJ had PS ,dics brakes and aircon and 5sp.
It had a black and red cloth int with a forward facing rear seat.
I never noticed the 3 windscreen wipers until someone pointed it out
1HZ PICS 005 (Small).jpg

i thought the 3 wiper blades denoted the high end LX model...
not sure but that is what i thought i read somewhere...
cheers

crushers said:
i thought the 3 wiper blades denoted the high end LX model...
not sure but that is what i thought i read somewhere...
cheers

It does. Check out the picture above carefully and you can see the striped upholstery and forward-facing folding rear seat of the LX model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom