solved:  fuel delivery nonsense (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

theferg

SILVER Star
Threads
I am having issues with fuel delivery...  1984 FJ60, stock 2F, stock carb (rebuilt two years ago), de-smogged.

I posted about my Moab trip previously and having fuel issues....thought we had it nailed, but nope.  The cruiser started bucking a little bit and if I pushed the accelerator in farther, it would totally go out, and when I would "bounce" the accelerator, it would intermittently buck or just go out.  Changed fuel filter on the way down to Moab--same issue.  Sprayed the crap outta the carb with cleaner--same issue.  We made it to Moab and there we decided it was the fuel pump.  So I bought an electric "push" type pump and rigged it up inline right in front of the gas tank--the mechanical pump was not removed.  The truck has had no issues since then.  

Until tonite....  I installed a new mech fuel pump (from SOR) and removed the electric one.  Started right up and idled for several minutes.  I then tried to drive it home--the sucker started bucking and then stalled.  Re-started it to turn back to the shop--bucking again and stalled out.  Got it back to the shop and we started looking at it.  It would idle fine, and if give it gas while not moving, it would rev up fine.  We saw no leaks at any point.  So we removed the air cleaner assembly and checked out the carb.  The float was empty and when we would pull the choke or press the accelerator, liquid gas wouldn't squirt out, but it seemed like gas in the gas state--like steam kinda.  I got pissed and was too tired to try and figure it out so I had my buddy bring me home.  

What could be the deal?  I would say that the carb needed adjusted, but why would it all of a sudden start doing it?  And then just stop when we added the electric fuel pump in?  The pump is obviously working because the cruiser idles just fine.  What am I missing?  :dunno: ???

Re: help:  fuel delivery nonsense

I had something somewhat similar, I could rev up and idle my cruiser fine on the original mech pump but after a minute or so of driving it would begin to die. I replaced with an electric never had a problem since. Try running without gas cap, and get a clear fuel filter, check for bubbles in gas, meaning there is a leak somewhere

:stupid:
How 'bout this for sweetness: After stewing all night over it, went back this morning and started with the obvious again. The fuel filter was recently replaced (about two months ago) and replaced again on my way to Cruise Moab--so it couldn't possibly be it, but looked there anyways. Hmmm. Wait a second, what's this?--another fuel filter upstream from the OEM fuel filter? Yep, sure is--and it's dirty as hell. Swap that SOB out, turn her over and make sure she is pumpin'--seems good, float in the carb fills up. Take her out for the test drive--most excellent. Runnin' like a champ.

Moral of the story: P.O.'s still SUCK ASS and don't assume you have just one fuel filter....? Sweet, $125 (Napa elec. fuel pump and SOR mech. pump) and it was a F#*%#$(G filter!

Glad to hear problem solved. As far as running two filters...just make sure the one up near the carb is a glass one...makes it much easier to diagnose when the rearward one clogs. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom